two

The rain is always welcomed to Giyuu, and so is the fog. It's cold against his cheeks and he may risk the chance of receiving a cold, but it's worth it since the droplets of rain replace his tears. Maybe his tears blend in with the rain, it doesn't matter though; because his eyes flutter closed and he stands in the garden, sandal-clad feet pressed against the rocks as he lets his hand drop from it's place on his sword, and his hair soak.

His bangs are sticking to his forehead as he ponders, lips that were once tightly sealed are now breathing in cold air, and arms are at his side to reveal a person he had forgotten existed within him. A human, not just a shell of one.

He can feel the rain pit-pat through his haori, soaking wet and growing heavy. It felt like Giyuu's grief finally growing a form, like someone was pressing their own back into his, letting the Hashira hold them up.

"It's no good to be in the cold, you may get sick." Makomo's voice makes a visible shutter run down his spine, and he truly believes that it's her leaning on his back— applying pressure in an attempt to move him. "If you don't move, there's no telling how bad your cold may be."

Just like with every ghost that trails him, he doesn't dare listen to the voices of the past. Yet a tear makes an escape, dribbling down and intermingling with the wetness on his face. It's the only warmth he feels aside from his own heart; his hand pressing against his own chest in an attempt to feel that very organ.

It's growing colder nowadays.

"Tomioka-san looks almost peaceful in his own element." A sudden voice breaks his peace, so does the sound of rain hitting thick paper.

His breath stutters as he finally finds the strength to peel his eyes open to meet blind ones, Himejima Gyomei stands there. His large hand cradles an umbrella that looks rather intricate and almost welcoming. The giant's heartbeat is soft, and Giyuu's enticed by the sudden presence of the Stone Hashira.

"I'm afraid I've disturbed Tomioka-san, I just found it curious to find you drenched on behalf of the weather without a care." Himejima prompts, "You have never looked so calm."

People stare at him? People actually acknowledge his expressions?

"'Looked'?" It sounded rude, and Giyuu flinches at his own blunt tone as he internally shuts himself up.

"Yes, looked." Himejima responds, absolute and still curious. "Is it the weather? Or perhaps the past daunting upon you?"

The other man's voice sounded like.. Giyuu couldn't place his tongue on it. Instead, he remained quiet as he thought for a response, poised with eyes closed and lungs expanding and closing.

"I guess I'm just distracted." It's blunt, sounding bored. Yet Giyuu is genuine and hopes to whoever that is listening, that Himejima understands his doting. Hopes that Himejima understands that this is the first time he's talked to someone remotely.

"Ah," the blind man spoke, about to add on to the Giyuu's response when a crash of Thunder erupted and a small— barely audible sound made the Water Hashira's chest ache.

Himejima seems startled by Giyuu's change in attention, but he offers a light smile as he reveals the small, shaking animal within his uniform sleeve. A small kitten, and an even smaller heart yet loud beats. It let out numerous little 'mew's, and there's something that the man has never heard before.

Giyuu is still dripping wet and his body is still retaining grieving energy, yet Gyomei can see an outline of the shorter man's finger, reaching out to the kitten in an unpracticed manner.

He laughs gently when the animal licks the finger, before mewing once again. Both bodies are melodic with one another, and the Stone Hashira feels a heavy draft on his heart. He's never seen or heard such a beautiful scene, and Gyomei sucks in a breath when despite his blindness; he can see a vulnerability in his comrade as Giyuu beckons the kitten into friendship.

"I didn't expect Tomioka-san to be a fan of animals." A strum of excitement laces the Water Hashira's spine as Himejima lets the kitten into Giyuu's grasp, albeit closer beneath the umbrella so the tiny animal wouldn't suffer the repercussions of a wet coat of fur.

"I.. wasn't allowed pets growing up." Giyuu realizes his openness. "They're... cute."

"I surprisingly, didn't expect the loser to not enjoy speaking." A new voice joins, and Shinazugawa Sanemi is here. Holding his own umbrella despite the lighter shower of water. "What are you even doing here without a damned umbrella, must be a fucking idiot."

Giyuu's heart pauses for a millisecond, because the person that carries Sabito's soul around the most has now joined the conversation. The feistiness that once lied within his peach-haired friend has always swelled within Shinazugawa since the day he had met him, and he can almost see his departed friend behind the Wind Hashira.

Gyomei realizes Giyuu's fear way before he, himself does. He realizes how the other man's breath stutters and his eyes dullen once again, the kitten now sleeping within his hands.

"I.. I.."

"Hah? You can talk fluidly with this gentle giant and not me! Didn't expect a character like you to hate others so much."

Shinobu's words ring through his head, a disturbing reminder of how isolated he was. Both his emotions and himself.

"Nobody likes you Tomioka-san, did you know that?"

He knows that it's light teasing, yet it cuts his heart up like the strings on a shamisen.

It's untrue; because Giyuu is trying to get his vocal cords to obey him once again, and all that escapes is a pained and forced.

"—orry. Sorry." It sounds genuine, kind. Gyomei knows it is, since Giyuu's soul is restless like a cat pinned within a corner. Even without enhanced senses, Giyuu's heartbeat was still so loud.

"Jesus, you can say sorry?" It sounds kinder than the rest of what Shinazugawa has said in the past, but Giyuu takes his leave anyway.

There's an emptiness within his eyes as he lets the kitten plop into Himejima's hands once again, and he turns abruptly, cursing himself as Sabito watches him, as his comrades watch him.

[none of the images presented are illustrated by me, though the story is appreciative of the artworks.]