Hope

Daoming Si ran through Heathrow airport like he was running a marathon. He had to make this flight, he just had to.

He swore under his breath when he saw that he had only 5 more minutes before the boarding gate closed. He could hear them announcing him name through the PA system and his heart filled with panic and dread. Why are these boarding gates so damn far??! And why did that meeting have to drag on forever??!

Unfortunately there were also no buggies in sight so he couldn't ask one to bring him to the boarding gate. He didn't even have his business class privileges this time, as the seats were full, so he had opted to fly coach, just so that he could make it back to Shanghai in time.

He arrived, panting, at the gate, 10 minutes later, only to find the plane slowly pulling away.

"Fvck!!" he cursed as he collapsed on a nearby chair. He almost wept as he buried his face in his hands. Shancai would be terribly disappointed. By the time he got on the next plane, it would be much too late. There was no hope of him getting back on time.

He pulled out his phone and typed out a very apologetic message peppered with terms of endearment. Then he wearily got up and made his way to the ticketing counter, still hoping for a miracle.

Si opened the front door to the Daoming mansion quietly. The whole house was in darkness. It was his first wedding anniversary, and he had missed it. He had promised Shancai a special evening, and he had broken his promise. Awful didn't even begin to describe what he felt.

He stepped into their master bedroom and found the love of his life in their bed, fast asleep. He saw that she was still dressed up, and even had makeup on. What was it that she had replied to his text? "Don't worry dear, I'll wait up, maybe you won't be that late and we can still have a nice evening in." His heart twisted when he realised that she had fallen asleep while waiting for him.

He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead and slowly tucked her into bed, careful not to wake her. He took a shower and climbed into bed himself, thinking that he wouldn't even see her the next morning as he had to be up extra early for an important meeting. He sighed, feeling terrible that her hopes of him arriving early that evening were dashed.

Brushing away the tears that filled his eyes, he hugged her close to him as he fell asleep from sheer exhaustion.

The next day, he arrived home early, as he had asked his secretary to cancel all his afternoon appointments. He had texted Shancai earlier "Wear something nice. I'll take you somewhere extra special tonight, to make up for yesterday."

He arrived home, again to find the house in complete darkness. Are we having an electricity-saving campaign? he thought amusedly to himself.

"Shancai! Shancai, where are you?" he called out to her as he climbed the stairs to their bedroom. "Are you ready to go?"

Suddenly she appeared at the doorway of the room and he drew a sharp breath.