Seven more victims. Seven more victims in one week. One death a day. We were beginning to think it was a conspiracy. But if it was, who was doing it? And how many?

The public was growing restless and if we didn't catch the killer soon, everyone would panic, including us.

In the whole drama, Seabury forgot the warrant, so we were delayed even longer with getting Maria Lewis in.

But the next seven victims had any relation to her and the rest was simply circumstantial evidence.

It was the start of a new week and the station was high in stress as we all awaited the call for the next murder. It almost happened at the exact same time every day, and from a week of it, we were used to it.

An hour past from the time it was normally.

The tension only rose with each passing tick of the clock. Conversations, if any, were spoken in muffled whispers. We all waited.

We already had patrols out so there was no use in Seabury and I going out.

There was nothing to do but sit and wait.

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Rrriiiiinnnnnngggg.

The secretary, Dolley Todd, jumped to answer the phone.

"Hello, this is the police station. What can I help you with today?"

All of us held our breath.

"Madison? Oh yeah, he's not busy, darling." She put the phone on her shoulder, looking me in the eyes. "It's for you."

Me?

I walked over and took the phone from her.

"Hello?"

"Jem?"

I turned away from the stinging eyes of my co-workers to hide the heat in my face.

"Mr. Jefferson. How can I help you?" In a lower voice, I said, "I'm at work."

"Right right, I know. It's just I need to tell you something, it's really important."

"I can't. Especially with the rise of the Murders."

"Yes, I know—"

"Call me tonight, okay?"

"It's about the murders."

My blood went cold. "What?"

"I think I know something..."

"Where are you?"

"The roller rink."

"I'll be there in ten minutes." I put the phone back on the receiver.

"Seabury, I have a possible lead. You stay here just in case, I can handle this."

"Ugh, fine. Hurry back." He turned back to his book.

"I need the keys to the Hudson."

His eyes widened. "No—"

"I'll pay for lunch next time."

He threw me the keys from his pocket. "If you hurt her, you're dead, Madison."

"I know. Thank you."

I ran out of the station and into the parking lot. I held my breath all the while I drove, I had hardly any experience. I did fine.

I adjusted my cuffs as I walked/ran to the roller rink entrance. It turned into a full out run when I heard an ear-splitting scream come from inside. 

I drew my gun from its holster, still hiding it in my jacket, as I burst through the door. 

Margarita, no, Peggy Schuyler tore from the back room. There was no one in the roller rink, everyone was playing it safe. 

"How're you already here?" 

"What do you mean? Are you okay?" 

"You're police, right?" 

"Yes." 

Tears started to fall down her round face. "There's been another murder." 

"What? Where?" 

She pointed a trembling finger at the room she came out of. 

I slowly approached it, my gun fully drawn. 

I heard Peggy throw up behind me. I would help her later.

I opened the door. 

I had to choke my own sobs down. 

I dropped my gun as I, myself dropped to the floor. 

"Call the station!" I screamed. "Call them fast!" 

"Of course, sir! Of course!" Peggy called back, still weeping.

I brought my hand to cover my sobs and to prevent my insides from coming up.

There he lay.

Thomas Jefferson.

A red ribbon tied around his wrist.

14 hand-written letters surrounding him. One for each victim, except for him and Elizabeth, all stained with blood.

And me.

Crying over the most wonderful man I had ever met. And will ever meet.