Part 8

Impa reached out with a pale, thin hand. Her skin was loose, dotted with age, and rested her palm on the book before her. She opened it, reading through a few passages. She sighed. "What do you wish to know?"

Sitting in front of her on a golden pillow was Wild. He was dressed back in his beloved Champion's tunic. Though he was in the presence of an old friend, in a village he came to consider as a second home, there was no love in his expression. "Why? Just... why?"

Impa continued to flip through the book of the damned. So many names. "The Sheikah... we have one goal above all else: ensure the survival of the princess. For if she is lost, then our world follows. Even the children here in Kakariko understands this. Those who bear the symbol have taken an oath to give our lives for her, and to do anything necessary to protect her. Even if it means..."

"Torture," Wild said.

Impa nodded. "This book... I've heard multiple conflicting rumors of it over the years. Some say it's all a myth, something to discredit the Sheikah. Others say it was Yiga clan. Either way... the story of the princess and her knight have stayed the same."

She turned the pages until she got to the final entry. She tentatively touched the written words like she expected the ink to burn her fingers.

"There have been plenty of stories of the knight falling in love with the princess," she said. "It's actually a common occurrence with you heroes. We in fact encourage it. It makes the Hero even more determine to fight for the princess, to keep her safe."

Wild averted his gaze.

"According to legend," Impa continued. "The knight fell in love with his princess. But when he learned she would have to sacrifice herself for the greater good, he tried to steal her away. He failed. And the Sheikah... they decided he was no different than a traitor. So they gave him a traitor's end."

She closed the book. "Tch. My predecessors should've known better that they cannot extinguished a Hero's Spirit."

"...and what of his princess?" Wild asked quietly. "What happened to her?"

Impa shook her head. "That, I don't know. I'm sorry, Link."

"I see..." Wild swiped at his eyes with his forearm. He stood up. "Thank you. I must be getting back to the others. I have an appointment with one of the locals businessmen of the town. He has pledged money to fill in the tunnels."

"Before you leave... may I ask what happened to the Hero?"

Wild gently touched the slate hanging off of his belt. "He's resting now."

Impa frowned. "What does that mean-"

"He's resting," Wild repeated. "That's all you need to know."

***

Wild walked out of the hut, stepping into the bright, warm sunlight. He lifted a hand up to shield his eyes.

Standing at the foot of the stairs, gazing over at the Goddess statue, were his friends.

"Hey," Twilight said as Wild came down the stairs. "Ready to go?"

Wild smiled at them. "Yes."