Chapter Sixteen: Purify

Start from the beginning

Nick was shown to the guest room, while Dave was to stay with Mellie in her room, which was just across the hall. They spent the afternoon swapping stories. Mostly, it was Mellie and Nick catching up. Dave was glad to listen.

Before they left, Uncle Clive gave Dave the spare keys, just in case they were needed for something. Nick wanted to leave early, so they could queue up. The doors wouldn't open for another four hours, but they were not the first to get there.

'Some of these people have likely been camping out since this morning,' said Nick. He looked a bit sad.

'It's a big venue, Nick,' said Mellie, patting him on the shoulder. 'We'll still get a good place.'

'You guys hungry?' asked Dave. 'Thought I might do a McDonald's run or something. We're gonna be here for a while, after all.'

'Yes please!' Mellie grinned. 'Nuggets for me, please. And a Fanta.'

Nick shook his head. 'Not really hungry.'

Dave shrugged. 'Suit yourself.' He got Nick a Big Mac anyway, and about an hour later, Nick was hungry and ate it.

They did find a good place to stand. Slightly to the left, nearly all the way in the front. And when the warm-up act started, somehow they managed to get all the way up to the fence.

Dave did a bar run between the acts. Getting back through the crowd proved nearly impossible, though somehow he managed to find them again, and passed out the beer in plastic pint glasses. Nick drank his quicker than he ought to have done, thought Dave, but it was just one beer. Nick was positively shaking at this point, glancing nervously about him, just waiting. Dave wanted to hold him.

'Are you excited? I'm excited!' Mellie was practically bouncing. 'God, I haven't been to a proper gig in so long. I can't wait for them to come on!'

Dave grinned. 'It'll be epic. Right, Nick?' Nick just nodded. He looked a bit queasy, and without thinking, Dave put his hand on Nick's shoulder, gently massaging it. 'Hey. You okay?'

Nick licked his lips. 'Yeah. I'm fine, just . . . nervous.'

'It'll be great.' Dave smiled in what he hoped was an encouraging manner. 'Just breathe. And when they come out on that stage, you'll forget all about it.' He laughed softly. 'You know, it's funny. It's like you're more nervous about seeing Placebo than you are when you go on stage yourself.'

Nick's lips quirked up at the edges. 'Oh, I get just as nervous. I really do. I just . . . convert it. Nervousness to energy. You know?'

And then, after what seemed like forever, there they were. The room went dark, stage lights went up, and then the music began. There was a surge of bodies as people drew as close to the stage as they could. Mellie and Nick stood in front, Dave slightly behind, and he found himself pressed up against Nick. Nick hardly seemed to notice.

It was an epic performance, and Dave loved it, but it was superseded by having Nick so close, the look on his face, the way he nearly cried when it started. His voice as he sang along to all the songs. And the way he had automatically grabbed Dave's hand when the band had come on. Now, he was dancing, jumping, singing, cheering. He appeared ecstatic, and he was absolutely beautiful.

Nick swayed his hips in time with the music. He threw his head back, stared up at the stage, at the band he had loved more than anything for years. His arse looked insanely good in his skinny jeans. His t-shirt, loose at the collar, showed off some of the pale skin between his shoulders. Through the thin fabric, Dave could see the contour of his shoulder blade. It was so hot, almost as hot as seeing him on stage. And Dave loved him. God, did he ever love him in that moment, the fierce beauty of him. The earnest look of adoration on his face as he stared up at the man who had been his greatest inspiration. His slender arms, stretched up in the air as he cheered and clapped between songs.