Chapter 27

My eyes were starting to droop but I refused to leave Martin's side. After that woman found a gurney, we carried him to the 'infirmary', which was basically a few beds with some bandages and a few antiseptics. My father said that because it was his son that injured Martin, he would bandage him himself. I stayed to help off course. I was sitting on a chair beside the bed, my knees tucked under my chin. I was tracing the veins on his hand with my finger while my dad was cleaning the blood out of his ear.

"Well, I'm finished. Are you sure you don't want to get some sleep?" My dad put the cloth in a bucket of water and stood up.

"No, I'm ok. You go ahead though."

"Alright... goodnight." He hesitated for a second before he left.

I sat there for a long time just holding his hand. My head dropped onto my arms after a while, but just as I was starting to drift off... Finn walked in.

"Psst, Val!" He whispered near my ear.

I jerked awake, fully alert now. "What!? " I whispered back.

"Can we talk for a second... outside?"

"Yea, sure." I rubbed my eyes, trying to clear the fog from my head.

I got up from the chair, but my legs turned to jelly and I collapsed. I waited for the hard impact of the floor, but it never came.I opened my eyes and... Finn had caught me. We stared at each other for a few seconds too long. I let go of his arms, trying not to think of the size. I clear my throat, avoiding eye contact with him.

"Uhm... thanks." I said, quickly walking outside.

We walk towards one of the waterfalls, sitting on the rocks, just out of reach from the spray.

"I know this is fast and all. You haven't really had a peaceful day and you might not want to do this. But I really want you to consider this."

I'm a little freaked out but... curious. "Alright."

He takes a deep breath and then blurts out, "I love you."

I stare at him, my mind blank. I didn't expect this, not for a million years. "I... Uhm. "

"I know this is fast and you don't really understand it, I mean we haven't even really talked at all."

I move a little further away, very uncomfortable. How can you say you love someone when they don't even know you.

"I don't think this is a good idea." I warrily reply.

"Just give me a chance please. You'll see, I'm actually a really nice guy, despite my past." He moves closer to me, almost touching me.

I jump up, feeling cornered. "Look, I don't like you like that. There's also to much going on this isn't going to work." I turn around and sprint away.

In the distance I hear him saying something. I slow down, straining to hear.

"You'll regret it!"

~~~°°°~~~

Pitch black. Everywhere! I don't know what's going on. It's suffocating me. I'm standing in the middle of the darkness.

"Hello?" I call, but the only sound I hear is my own voice echoing back to me.

The scene started to change. My father standing over my mother, holding a knife. I dove towards them, trying to stop him. I know she's evil but she's still my mother. I reach them, but... nothing. I fall right through them. Dacian and Finn were tied together, hanging from... something. Martin was lying on the floor, a pool of blood beneath him. I tried going towards him but -

My arm slipped of the chair. I jerk awake, looking around in a panic.

"Sleep well?" Martin asks.

My head snaps to him. The brightness coming from somewhere blinds me and I have to wait a few seconds for my vision to clear.

"You're awake!" I jump up, rushing to his side. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I got hit by a pissed of guy... repeatedly." He tries to laugh, but he coughs and his face contracts in pain.

"I'm so sorry about that." I stroke the side of his face. Careful not to touch his bruise.

"If it means a pretty girl gets to take care of me, I'm all for it."

I laugh. "I actually didn't take care of you but I did help. My father did all of the heavy lifting." I sit on the side of the bed.

"Oh, well... uhm, yea...I don't know what to say to that." He laughs, but it quickly turns into a moan.

"I don't think you should laugh." I grab the cup of water beside his bed, handing it to him.

"I gathered as much. Did you sleep there the whole night?" He nods towards the chair.

"Uh, yea...why? Should I go?" I could feel the heat creeping up my neck. I get up fron the bed, inching towards the door.

"No no! I was just surprised. Please don't go." He tries to reach toward me, but almost fall out of the bed.

I jump toward him, catching his shoulders. He smirks at me and I realize he did it on purpose. I push him back onto the bed, rolling my eyes. I grab my chair, bringing my knees up toward my chest as I sit down.

"Why'd you sit on the chair? My bed not comfortable enough?" He wags his eyebrows at me with a huge smile.

"Yea, I would much rather sit in a cramped chair." I roll my eyes again but I can't keep the smile from my face.

He pats the space opposite him, giving me a lopsided smile. I laugh and climb onto the bed, tugging the other end of the blanket over my legs.

We talk for a while, him telling me all of his adventures and me telling him all of my mishaps, when my dad stuck his head inside the door.

"Hey you two. We're going to get some breakfast and then talk to Dacian. Would you like to join?" He asks in a cheerful tone, but I can see the tension rolling of off him.

"Yea sure William. I have a few words for him."

I quirk my eyebrow but say nothing. My dad and I help Martin sit up but he grunts in pain and I realize he must have a bruised rib. I put my arms around his waist helping him walk outside.

So that was chapter 27. If you guys feel like I need to elaborate on some stuff in the chapters please let me know . Every input helps!