Last night? When the hell did they start hanging out?

"You were with Anna last night?" I ask, slightly bewildered.

"Yeah...Anna and I hang out all the time." Mitch explains slowly.

"Since when?" My voice sounds slightly squeaky with surprise as my face scrunches up in confusion.

"We became friends at the start of the year."

Huh. So that's why she is never home.

"When do you guys have the time to hang out? She has that volunteering thing on the weekends."

"Oh, she stopped doing that a long time ago," Mitch dismissively waves his hand. Meanwhile, I just stare at him with my eyebrows furrowed.

Why didn't I know any of this? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not mad about the fact that my sister and my teacher are apparently best friends now...wow that sounded wrong. Anyways, I'm just surprised.

I can tell by the worried look in Mitch's eyes that he genuinely cares for her. And I do remember Anna mentioning something about Mitch having crush on her when I first moved back.

I don't know if she was serious though. But I do have a feeling that this "friendship" of theirs is more than just a friendship, and that's probably what surprised me the most.

I always thought Anna and Trent were going to get together. Trent is Colin's older brother; he, James, and Anna would always hang out with each other. They were best friends.

It was always me and Colin and then those three. Trent and Anna were close, but not as close as he was with James.

Let's just say Anna and Trent had a...different kind of chemistry.

Everyone knew that they fancied each other. Everyone except James.

Because he's an idiot.

The summer before we moved, Anna and Trent were having a secret relationship because we all knew that James would lose his shit if they were publicly dating.

Well, when we moved, Trent and Anna had already broken up because the grief of losing my dad kind of tainted their relationship a wee bit. James never found out about their "secret affair," and Trent and Anna stopped talking to each other after the move.

But then, when we heard that James was living with Trent in Ohio, Anna decided to get a hold of him through James. I don't know if they still talk, and I have no idea if they still have feelings for each other.

But what I do know is that if Trent does still have feelings for Anna than he'd probably beat the shit out of Mitch.

"Are you guys, like, seeing each other?" I voice my curiosity. Mitch looks taken aback by my query

"Well, I mean," he awkwardly clears his throat "no, we aren't."

"Do you want to be seeing each other?" I throw another question at him, a small smirk tugging at the corner of my lips.

"Alright, class is about to start, so I should probably go...teach it." Mitch scurries out of his seat while I start laughing.

My mind drifts back to what he said about the reasoning of Anna being upset, and my laughter fades. "Wait, Mitch, what did you mean by 'with everything that's going on with James'?"

Mitch slightly grimaces to himself, "Anna hasn't told you anything yet, has she?" I shake my head and he sighs, "Well then you should probably talk to her about it. Don't tell her I said anything, though." He adds the last part quickly before the bell rings and sends a slight apologetic smile as he heads to the front of the classroom.