[ 𝒗. ] FIRST LOOK

Start from the beginning

Genesis sits at the head, laughing with Pollux over something while Olympia's fidgeting with her bubblegum pink hair. The mentors are sitting aside each other, Aegis opposite them with an empty seat next to him that's most likely reserved for her. She gives a silent nod to the Avox in thanks, something she's been lectured on in the past, but she sits down in the seat quietly.

On the table, there's a range of foods waiting for her. Aegis's plate is still empty, though the others have dug in and begun their meal. She doesn't know if Aegis has just arrived as well, or if his appetite is all but gone – like hers. She hasn't eaten since last night, but she's not sure she can take down a meal. There's something stirring in the pit of her stomach that she can't describe (it's fear, she just can't admit she's feeling it) and she knows if she eats any food, it won't stay down.

"Eat, you two," Olympia instructs, her soft features clashing with her sharp voice. "You'll wish you had when you're in the arena."

"Yeah, take some food," Pollux's words are a lot kinder, a wide smile on his lips as he pushes a bowl of fruit their way. "This is all real stuff, grown from the dirt and not in a test tube."

Dalia shares a look with Aegis, but copies his actions as they move to take a little bit of each dish.

"I'm Pollux, I'm sure you know that," he introduces himself, shooting her a wink as she pokes a grape with her fork. "This pink little lady is Olympia, I mentored her and now she's a model."

"I'm not a model," she protests, her nose crinkling in annoyance. "I'm your mentor, he's supposed to be your mentor as well, but he's been a bit busy with his toes dipped in the Capitol. Don't expect much from him, he barely mentored me."

"If one of you win this year," he starts, chewing intently and exchanging a serious look with both tributes. "It'll be a good life for you, that's my guarantee." He claps loudly and Genesis is the only one to jump at the sudden noise. "But, you'll have to win first."

Olympia's eyes roll. "District Twelve is finishing up their reaping as we speak. We'll watch them in just a second." She looks over to Dalia, sending her a look that she's seen on Atticus many times in her life. "Don't waste your food, Idalia, eat it."

"I actually prefer Dalia," she tells her mentors, picking up a green grape with her thumb and her index finger.

"The Capitol prefers Idalia." Her words are edged with blades, also reminding Dalia of Atticus. Perhaps she was trained by him, she would've entered the games the second year he arrived at the academy. "You can have nicknames if you survive."

Dalia's used to the harshness, so she presses her lips in a thin line as she nods and drops her grape onto her plate. She picks up a roll of bread as Genesis whispers something to Pollux, who laughs lazily and sends her a sideways glance.

"What?" She asks him, unable to stop the word from launching itself from her mouth.

"Genesis was saying that you remind her of Olympia," Pollux repeats, chewing another grape. "I said no way because you're not a sniveling mess yet. Did you know that as soon as Olympia stepped on the train after volunteering, she didn't stop crying until we reached the Capitol?"

"Fuck you, Pollux." Olympia stands up, pushing her chair behind her with her movement before she turns to look at her tributes. Dalia can feel the wrath that she emanates, knowing now that she never wants to get in her way.

"I only stopped crying a couple of minutes ago," Dalia replies deadpanned to Pollux, defending her mentor who's lips curl up into a grin. "Crying helped her win, didn't it?"