Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

Finally, still in my pajamas, I left my rooms for scarier terrain.

Devland was already seated when I entered the dining room, and I took a seat at the other end of the table instead of the one at his side like I'd done so many times before despite how the place settings had been laid out. The only indication he gave to show he noticed my arrival was a slight pause as he ate, and he darted his eyes my way.

Then, as though I didn't exist, he resumed.

I shrugged and picked up my fork, thanking Gerard as he set a plate of Greek salad topped with grilled chicken in front of me. The tension built as neither of us said a word. All I could hear was the tap of metal on china as our forks scraped against our dinner plates and the rhythmic click in my jaw as I chewed.

My stomach turned heavy.

After half my food was finished, I was done.

Just as I was about to get up, Gerard came back into the room. He went straight to Devland and whispered in his ear. After listening, Devland nodded and put his napkin on his plate. He stood and, without looking at me, crossed the room and left.

My mouth opened and then snapped shut. I glanced at Gerard as he started to clear Devland's setting away and then pivoted in my chair to look over my shoulder through the dining room door where Devland had disappeared.

What was that?

"Thank you for dinner, Gerard," I said and stood. "As usual, it was delicious. And my favorite."

Gerard raised his head and nodded at me.

I pushed my chair back into place and left the dining room, pausing at the doorway. After a moment, I turned to the left and slowly crept by Devland's office, which was left ajar, hoping to catch a word of whatever conversation he might be having.

Was there news of the missing boy?

Did they find him?

Did he lose his powers like the girl who had been missing before him?

Silence was all that I heard, and I sighed with disappointment.

Backtracking, I made my way back to my bedroom, wondering if I could help find the boy. My mother had. Since talking with Zachariah again, I couldn't help but wonder if I could do as she did. I mean, if what Zachariah had implied was true and I could sense magic even when the user wasn't using it, why couldn't I sense someone's essence like Aiden had described?

The only problem with trying was that I didn't know how. It was one thing to sense something in someone standing in front of you. How was I supposed to sense something that belonged to someone I had never met?

Onyx met me at the door when I entered my suite. I patted her head as I passed, going straight into the bathroom to fill the tub with warm water and bubbles. Before it was done filling, I was got in. Once the water reached my shoulders, I turned off the taps and sat back, sinking into the bubbles and letting the questions run free through my thoughts. Every time I discovered something new, a million more unknown factors were presented. Logic simply didn't apply.

There was so much I didn't know.

It would be easier to sort if I made a list.

Mentally, I began to organize what I would include.

After a half hour, I stepped out of the tub and dried myself off. I took my hair out of its high ponytail and shook it loose, then pulled my large terrycloth robe around my shoulders. Walking back into my bedroom with my head down, I tied the robe shut at my waist.

"Nora." Devland stood from the edge of my bed where he'd obviously been waiting, and I jumped in surprise.

"Wha—What are you doing?" I asked, bringing my hand up to clutch the V of the robe at my neck closed.

Onyx ran to my side from the bathroom and lowered her head, glaring at Devland, though I was proud she didn't growl or bare her teeth. At the same time, I kind of wished she had. Maybe it would force Devland out and give me my sanity back. I felt exposed with him waiting like this.

"We need to talk. Now."

"I'm not even dressed."

I looked into the bathroom and back to Devland. What was left to discuss? I knew where he stood, and he knew I didn't care. The end.

"Now, Nora," he said again and crossed the room. "I'll wait in the sitting room for you to get dressed."

The door slammed behind Devland and, once again, I jumped.

What the hell was his problem?

I looked at Onyx and mumbled that she was supposed to protect me, then went to my closet through my bathroom. If I didn't do as Devland asked, he would just come back, and I preferred to be fully clothed when talking to him.