Chapter Four - The Mattress Mambo

By lunchtime I was finished with my classes for the day. I hadn't organized a ride home with Gabriel so I began walking. I was halfway home when a car pulled up beside me.

“I can give you a ride home.” Gabriel's voice called out.

“I'm almost there.” I replied. “But thanks.”

“I think we need to talk, don't you?”

My heart thudded again, what did we... My sisters now ex-boyfriend and I have to talk about. Was my attraction to him that obvious.

I didn't say anything else, just walked around to the passengers side of the car and hopped in.

We stayed silent, and while the silence between us wasn't awkward anymore, it was painful. I wanted to speak, but nothing seemed right. I couldn't exactly say 'It's been a while, and to me you look almost edible'.

After what seemed like the longest drive in history Gabriel finally pulled into my driveway

Still silent I picked up my backpack and opened the door. We walked together from Gabe's car, up the gravel drive to the path, then up the steps to my front door.

“Nice place.” Gabe exclaimed.

“Tell me about it, and I pay through the nose... been turning tricks just to pay the bills” I joked.

Gabriel grabbed me by the hand and squeezed tightly. “Please tell me your kidding.” his eyes bored holes into mine, I could feel the concern radiating towards me.

“I'm kidding. I've got a little savings, and I work a couple of shifts a week at a friends dress shop.” I turned, breaking the intense gaze, I gently pulled my hand from Gabes. and unlocked the front door. “I'll have to move at the end of the year, unless I get work. But I'm not too worried.”

Gabe said nothing. 

He followed me inside, closing the front door behind him. I walked into the kitchen and switched the coffee pot on. This would not be awkward. Offer the guy a coffee, then he'll leave and you can go back to being boring old Juni.

“Coffee?” I asked, trying to keep my voice as level as I could. In Gabe's company it was almost like asking me to suddenly learn kung fu. It wasn't happening.

“Yeah, sure.” He walked into the kitchen, I could feel him watching me as I moved through the kitchen. I didn't understand why, but I knew thinking about it too much was dangerous. I liked him, and if he liked me too, I wasn't sure I had it in me to stop myself making a mistake. 

Once the aroma of fresh coffee filled the room, I carried the now steaming mugs into the dining area. I placed a cup on the other end of the table in the hopes Gabriel would set there. But instead he picked up the cup of coffee and walked until he sat right beside me. I shivered, this was happening. I wasn't stupid I could feel the tension. I could feel something. 

“Do you have a boyfriend?” He said like it was nothing.

I shook my head and tried to hide my shame. I'd never had a boyfriend, and I'd only had sex three separate times. With three separate guys, in three separate countries.

“Is that because you've been traveling? You just haven't had time.?” he questioned, He sounded confused, which surprised me.

I let out a laugh and shook my head. “Look at me Gabriel. I'm not exactly most guys idea of a wet dream” Our eyes connected as I remembered the dream, He was my idea of a wet dream though. Last night had proven that. I closed my eyes and washed away the thoughts before they could consume me.