If my mother had shown me this while I was unbound instead of letting me see all the woes of the people who came to her, maybe it would have been enough to make me accept magic sooner. Now, all I wanted to do was try more spells so that I could fill the book up like an art project. I had no idea I could combine the two so seamlessly!

Until I could fill the pages, at least I could make borders.

Flipping the page again, I began to draw an intricate design that would house the spell for unbinding Maible.

*****

"Nora?"

I looked up and found Calin and Maible both watching me. I set my pencil down and sat up, noticing the groan as my joints moved. I winced and paused before standing completely. Finally, I stood straight and pushed my hair out of my eyes.

"Uh, what time is it?" I asked.

Calin, who appeared concerned, said, "Almost five. We had to stop at Maible's and run an errand for her mom before she was allowed out. Have you been here all afternoon?"

"Yes?" I cleared my throat and nodded. "Uh, yeah. I did some cleansing stuff and relaxed, then started using the book your mom gave me. I guess... I lost track of time."

"We called out to you like, three times," Maible said.

"I was preoccupied." I shrugged. "It's cathartic, you know? I didn't realize that it would be until I started without worrying about... other people looking through my thoughts."

I knelt and gathered my art pencils, putting them back in their case.

Closing the book, I realized that I had spent all that time on one border. I took a moment to study it, admiring the flowery edge that, if I squinted, appeared to have runes worked into the design. I didn't know much about runes, but I remembered a few lessons with my mother. I'd have to revisit those and discover what I'd engraved.

Before they had a chance to ask what I'd drawn, I closed the book and placed it back in my bag. It was one thing to understand what I felt about a drawing, but I had no way of explaining it to anyone else.

"So." I turned to face Maible, hoping the next topic would wipe the look of inconvenience from her face. "Did Calin tell you why I asked you to meet me out here?"

"Not really. I told him I wanted to study, and he said you needed help, so I came. Do you know what subject you're lagging on? If we can narrow it down, I can help you and still work on my homework."

I laughed and looked at Calin. "Seriously? I thought she looked annoyed because I didn't answer you guys right away!" Pushing him in the arm, I turned to Maible. "I don't want your help yet, Maible, though I will this week. Can you help me study before finals? I'm going to be pretty wiped."

"Why would you be—"

"Because. If I help you unbind your powers tonight, it's going to drain me. I'll seriously need you to walk me through each subject."

"You—What?" Maible opened her mouth, then snapped it shut. She looked from me to Calin, and then back again. "Are you serious?"

I nodded.

Maible became completely still, her voice monotonous. "I will help you study whatever subject you want this week, Nora. Even if it means that I have to learn the material from scratch."

"So, I take it you're happy about this?" Calin asked, laughing, and Maible nodded repeatedly.

"What do I have to do?" She continued to watch me.

"Basically, the same as you did before," I told her and started walking towards the open space in the clearing beside the campfire where Calin and I had slept after I'd stripped Duvessa of her abilities. I had a feeling it was going to be a spot for many accomplishments. When I stopped, I turned to Maible. "I need you to stand there and for Calin to stay behind me so that he doesn't become a distraction."

"The same spot as before?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No. Closer. This time, I need you a few steps behind. I have to get through seventeen binds. That means that I might not be able to do it all at one time. If you stand close behind me, it'll help."

"Here?" Calin stepped closer so that if I fell backwards in some weird version of a trust exercise, he'd be able to catch me before I hit the ground.

"That works." Pivoting, I faced Maible. "I know it would be easier for you to sit, but I really need you to stay standing, okay?"

Maible nodded. "Here? Like this?"

"That's perfect. Stay still."

"When do we start?"

"Shh," I said and closed my eyes. "I start now."

All the cleansing and hours spent mindlessly drawing had cleared my mind of nuisances.

Just as I had done before, I forced myself to disconnect with outside stimuli and focused on the nature around me. Air filled my lungs, nearly choking me with its supply, and I felt rooted to the ground by invisible holds. Sound and taste cut off. When I opened my eyes, all I could see was Maible.

Show me the binds on Maible. Show me Maible's power.

Show me.

I repeated the mantra again and again.

Nothing happened.

I narrowed my eyes and tried to concentrate harder. Still, there was nothing. Blowing out a deep breath, I tried to start over. Maible sighed and whatever connection I'd begun shattered.

"I told you not to move!" I exclaimed, hitting my thighs with my fists.

"I didn't!"

"Yes, you did!" I stepped back and shook my head, feeling Calin behind me.

Calin placed his hands on my shoulders and leaned in so that his chin was nearly on my shoulder and my back against his chest. "Are you okay?"

"Yes."

"Is this about what Luna said?"

"No!" I shook my head and sighed. "I need... stillness. I was almost there and then Maible moved."

"No, I didn't."

"Okay, then. You sighed. That makes sound and moves your chest," I said, knowing how insane I sounded. "It's distracting. Do you have any idea how hard it is to unbind someone? I don't even know if I can, so I need you to do exactly as I say."

"So, you want to just give up?"

"Did I say that?"

"It's implied." Maible turned to me, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Maible," Calin said, his voice low. "Do you know of anyone else who can do this for you? Anyone who said you have powers?"

She hesitated, then shook her head.

"So, maybe try to do as Nora asks so that she can help you," he said. "Do you think you can do that?"

Maible sighed, looking up to the sky. "Yes."

"Nora, are you willing to give it another try?" he asked, once again speaking softly in my ear, and I felt a shot of energy zoom down to my toes.

I leaned back into Calin's embrace and closed my eyes. "Yeah. Just... give me a couple of minutes." I grabbed his hand when I felt Calin moving back and held it. "Don't move. Just stand right here and let me get balanced again. Maible, don't move. I'm not even going to tell you when I start."