Chapter 4

Jane sinks her lips in. A married man doesn't feature on her wish-list of eligible men. Is that why he wrote "single recovered lover" on his profile? She shakes her head slowly as her eyes turn to the floor.

"I'm not sure I —"

"Let me explain. We divorced two months ago. So, I'm free again," he clarifies.

Her knitted brows spread apart, giving way for a smile. If he's truly split from his wife, it shouldn't be long before they get along. This is a guy she used to watch every weekend through her window and the manner in which he treated his wife invoked envy to an extent she sometimes wished to be in the lady's shoes.

"What happened between the two of you, if I may ask?" her face creases up.

"We couldn't have a child. We both wanted one but just couldn't. The doctor confirms us medically okay, but after six years of trying, we agreed it was time to go our separate ways."

The creases on Jane's face melts as more questions form in her mind. Why choke him with questions? Here is a guy who badly needs a baby; and here she is in search of a man to father her child. Isn't this all she asked for? Oh, Binzette did a good job smoking this lad out.

He senses her relief.

"When Binzette told me about you, I found it rather funny. From my window, I used to watch you and still do watch as you leave the house and return every day. To tell you the truth, on many occasions, you were an example of how a hard-working career lady should live her life."

"Really?" she asks.

"Sure."

"I'm flattered."

"But then, I didn't know having a child has always been on your mind."

Jane's face drops.

"All that is history now, isn't it? Fate is bringing us together. Here we are."

A ball of adrenalin engulfs Jane as her chest region quakes. Her quivering lips suggest she'll utter a word, but the lady just can't open her mouth.

Thabo observes the fidgety lady and considers her won over. Her pretty face relishes as he drools.

"It's my turn to ask, I guess. Why are you in search of a man to father your child when you can get married to me living just next door?"

Jane blinks repeatedly as tears gather in her eyes. She pinches herself to be sure this isn't a dream. Convincing herself to get a child took a while and the hope she lost in marriage led her to the decision. Now this man is ready to father her child and is also willing to marry her – all in one weekend?

Her face turns upwards as if to offer thanks, but his hard stare hints that he's expecting a reply to his question. Jane's eyes widen as a calming smile arrives. Words drop from her mouth mechanically.

"Dear Thabo, what can I say? These are desperate times."