Binge Eating Disorder

Binge eating disorder is one of three primary types of eating disorders. The other two are anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa.

People with binge eating disorder feel both emotionally and physically out of control of their eating. Consequently, remorse and emotional anguish are common. Unlike the patient with bulimia, the binge eater does not compensate after a binge by overexercising, vomiting or fasting.

Treatment of binge eating disorder (BED) nearly always involves some type of psychotherapy, as well as medication. Some medications have been found to be especially helpful with certain eating disorders. If you believe you may be suffering from an eating disorder or know someone who is, please get help. Once properly diagnosed by a mental health professional, such disorders are readily treatable and often cured within a few months’ time.

A person with an eating disorder should not be blamed for having it. The disorder is caused by a complex interaction of social, biological, and psychological factors which bring about the harmful behaviors. The important thing is to stop as soon as you recognize these behaviors in yourself, or to get help to begin the road to recovery.

Symptoms of Binge Eating Disorder

Binge eating disorder typically involves repeated episodes of binge eating and eating more in a given amount of time than other people would eat during that same period of time. A person with BED feels as if they can’t stop eating, no matter what they do. They often end up eating alone because they are ashamed about how much food they eat. Feelings of being disgusted with themselves, guilt, and even depression accompany each over-eating episode.

During an episode of binge eating, a person typically eats faster than they would normally eat, eating until they feel very full or even ill, and eating even after they are satisfied.