Chapter 4: I Was Looking For Someone To Love

I've always enjoyed out-of-town and overseas trips with Domyouji, Rui and Akira for it left me guessing where in the world we'd be off to. Domyouji would surprise us with invitations to spend weekends in Europe all expenses paid as he met Gu Jun Pyo and other heirs/heiresses of different global companies.

Here we are off to Fukuoka to visit Rui and catch the last day of Yi Jeong's exhibit. It's a welcome respite for me.
Jan Di and her daughter Min Ah were so thrilled to meet Ga Eul, Jan Di's best friend and Yi Jeong's wife. Ga Eul is also a famous potter. Wealthy Korean and Japanese families hire her to make new sets of urns, dinnerware and vases they can use at home or give away to friends. She has surely come a long way from selling porridge with Mrs. Gu Jun Pyo when they were in high school.

"Hello, auntie Ga Eul! Mama and I couldn't wait until the exhibit's over so we decided to come to the studio. I somehow knew you'd be here.", Min Ah greeted her godmother.

"You're a young lady now. How time has flown! Jan Di, you must give Min Ah a brother or a younger sister soon. Yi Jeong and I planned to come here originally for a honeymoon but work surely follows us wherever we go. I believe that's the case for our husbands.", Ga Eul exclaimed as we gathered to discuss the itinerary of our first day in Fukuoka.

Tsukasa and his family left for Fukuoka a day ahead of us. Makino met us at the art studio located inside the museum where the pottery exhibit was held. She had with her a huge binder filled with a bunch of files.

"Soujiro-kun, thank you for waiting with Gu Min Ah & Geum Jan Di. Domyouji asked me to give these to you. Review them later when we get to the resort. Ga Eul, why don't you join us? Yi Jeong is already there with my husband along with Akira."

"Sure. Let me lock up and secure the studio first before we leave. You can go ahead. I'll follow. I've been to Hanazawa Nature Spring Resort a couple of times. Your friend Rui has done a great job managing it." Ga Eul is a regular customer of Rui's? I smell something fishy here.

Jan Di, Min Ah, Makino and I stopped by a 24/7 mini-mart before proceeding to the resort. I bought a travel magazine while the ladies bought toiletries and snacks. Min Ah looked very amused and fascinated with the Japanese snacks & beverages she could feast on. She got a box of matcha-flavored mochi ice cream, Kitkat wafers in creme brulee, green tea, strawberry and cookies 'n cream variants and a dozen bottles of assam milk tea.

"Min Ah! Why did you buy a lot of bottled milk tea? I can brew some for you anytime you'd like for free!"
"Really, uncle Soujiro? Why tell me now when you could have told me earlier at the mart? Can you teach me how to make my own?", Min Ah chastised. "Of course. However, now isn't the time.", I told her and I saw how disappointed she became when I did.

The moment we arrived at the resort, a huge welcoming party came upfront to accommodate us. The locals Rui hired to be our bellhops and maids fawned over us like we were global Asian sensations (think Lee Min Ho or Arashi, Japan's most beloved male group). They carried trays of glasses filled with a variety of drinks and appetizers. We all helped ourselves to the treats.

"Rui, what's all this? This is too extravagant for a hot spring resort. Don't you think maybe you're overdoing it with your hospitality? Other guests might get offended.", Jan Di remarked. I never knew Jun Pyo's missus to be such a drag. I can only imagine how much she nags him to do her bidding or grant her whatever her heart desires.

"My,my. It's my money and your husband Jun Pyo has invested some of his for the resort's expansion. He's talked me into franchising. A lot of Shinhwa Group's partners and affiliates have also expressed their intentions to bring our brand of Japanese hospitality to North America and Australia.", Rui explained. Jan Di gaped and was clearly unaware of what her husband did. Min Ah rushed to her side.