Chapter 3 -- Be Thou For The People

Bắt đầu từ đầu

“G’morning, Yamaguchi-san.” The lad said, flattening against the wall to let him in.

Yamato grinned, and passed him, his grandson scampering after him.

A black witches’ cat stares up at them with wide dark eyes, between mounds of dried yew branches. His fur arches dark over his shoulders when he glides to his feet, sharp and clumped like black feathers, head dipping back to slip behind—

The young witch lad scoops him up, holding him close to his chest. He’s grinning. “Are you here for your joint pains?”

Yamato nods. “If you could make that balm again, that would be great.”

The lad bobs his head, and bundles the cat into the stacked kitchen, dropping him down on a pile of what looked like gardening magazines. He fixed the cat with a stern look. “You might s’well stay, Kageyama-san. I need your help.”

The cat suddenly looks attentive, ears swivelling forward.

The lad—Hinata, Yamato remembered now—grinned, and patted his thighs. “Joints, joints...” He muttered.

“Poppies are good for pain.” The cat suggested.

“Only when ingested, and then he could just take pain killers.” Hinata rubbed his chin, squinting. “I remember;  Radish, Bishop’s wart, wormwood, crookleek, hollowleek and, and, Helenium. That’s... fi-six! But there are seven ingredients, I’m sure.” The lad’s forehead wrinkled, and he looked practically constipated.

“Um, it’s a place to start, at least, lad.” Yamato said hopefully.

“Yeah, I—Garlic!” He exclaimed. “Garlic, I forgot garlic. That’s seven, yeah. Could you start collecting them, Kageyama? Garlic and Radish’s here on the veggie rack, and I’ll drag the pestle and mortar down.”

Kageyama leapt neatly off the table, and disappeared around the corner in an instant.