III. ortus

Jace POV

Izzy and I have spent an hour reassuring maryse that everything will work out. It's hard telling someone something you don't truly believe in yourself. There are so many things we haven't considered before alec turned, will he return? who will take position on the Institute? will he survive in edom? The possibility of Magnus being corrupted by the darkness of hell wasn't even taken upon consideration. The fine dark hair on Maryse's head was practically turning grey from the stress of an uncoordinated plan.

Just as she was about to speak she was interrupted by clary softly poking her head through the large wooden door, making he look like a small child.

"Alec has signed the paperwork confirming he asked to be bitten"

I smiled and thanked her, she managed to keep herself composed unlike Izzy and I who are still teary and swollen eyed. I feel empty but I have to make sure Alec knows I understand, If clary was in Magnus' position I would do the same but create an even larger mess for alec to clean up.

"I want to speak to my boy." Maryse said as she got up and began trudging towards Alecs room on a mission. When she was out if sight I turned to Izzy who was staring blankly at a wall with her hands on her face. She's so strong it's admirable. The way she can handle addiction, loss and fight in heels against all odds.

"He will be okay, it's alec he is still brooding in his room right at this moment, he's going to be okay." Seeing Izzy so hurt reminds me of times that Alec would stay in her room at night to make sure she didn't have nightmares as a kid and all the times that Maryse had been mean to her, how she would run to alec for safety. He was a blanket that would protect her, protect us.

◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇

Walking into Alecs room there was a noticeable change, the bed sheets were folded neatly at the bottom of the mattress. His room was much colder now.

Maryse was folding Alecs clothes into a duffle bag, it's a strange feeling watching someones whole life be folded into a bag. It can look as though they never really lived at all.

"Can you hand me that blanket there" Maryse asks kindly her mascara only slightly smudged but she can pull it off with a kind smile. "Max will be portalling in soon"

Max. Still only a child. How can we begin to explain to him what's happening and why, he has just began to grow up 7 years old yet still the Lightwood baby.

A sudden clatter from behind me startled my thoughts.

"Ah shit,"

Chuckling as I realised it was Alec being his graceful self. There is no amount of abilities that would keep that man from tumbling over something. Or down a set of stairs after a kiss.

"How will you survive in hell if you can't handle carrying a box from the office?" I teased him, to which he rolled his eyes.

The small interaction between us in that moment made me realise how much I can't hate to never have it again. My face began to visibly sadden as I began to realise these moments between us are going to be our last for a long time, or forever. And either way it will hurt. Going on missions or even eating without him will never be something I could get used to.

"Jace? You okay?"

"You'll come back right? You won't forget? Pleae do-"

I was cut of by a strong embrace from alec, one that would take all doubt away if it wasn't so strong. I breathed in his scent only to find it want the same, he was much colder and seemed upset himself.

"I'll be back don't worry, it's not like I could forget you, any of you. I'll be back almost every holiday! Hey maybe even for Christmas"

◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇

This was a short chapter and badly done! I'm super duper sorry :( I have mock exams coming up and lots of ideas for future chapters :))

Feedback is appreciated!

Alec POV soon? Maybe? We will see!

Stay safe!