Volunteer

"Welcome to the 75th Hunger Games. Please join me in welcoming our brave Victors." The whole of the district was silent as the 5 victors stepped onto the stage. You could hear their steps as they moved across the stage. Everly was stood with Clara, she held her hand tightly and as Marius reached his hand into the first glass ball which held two paper slips. He picked one out and let out a sob as he looked at the name.

"Clara Winddrove." A child's cries could be from the stage, Everly and Clara looked over to see her children and husband trying to fight through the peacekeepers to get to her. 

As Clara stood forward Everly looked at Jess and mouthed "I love you." Jess nodded as a tear slid down her face. Everly pulled Clara back and stood in front of her standing tall "I volunteer as tribute." 

Clara pulled her into a thankful hug "Thank you. Thank you so much.." She sobbed. Everly pushed her away gently and walked over to where Marius was standing. He reached over to the over glass ball and quickly pulled a name out. He seemed to be trying to finish everything as he eagerly opened up the second paper slip.

"James Pine." James looked into the crowd trying to find someone before hesitantly walking over to them. 

"Here you have it. Your tributes for the 75th hunger games." Marius started to clap, sending fake smiles around in the hope that someone would join in. But they just stayed still. Staring coldly at the stage. Until one by one they raised three fingers to their mouth then to the sky. Everly looked at them with respect and nodded slightly to tell them that she was thankful. 

Suddenly, peacekeepers grabbed hold of her arms and she was being dragged of off the stage. She kicked her legs out and screamed hoping to break  free. For a single moment she escaped by elbowing a peacekeeper in the stomach then kicking them over. She ran into the crowd and she knew what she had to do.

"Long live the Mockingjay!" She screamed as she was dragged away. Behind her, civilians pushed against the peacekeepers but were knocked down. Everly watched in horror as she heard a gunshot and someone fall to the ground with a painful thud. "NOOOO!" She screamed again. She was pulled onto the train and chucked into the seating room. She was left crying hysterically on the floor.

Clara ran over to her pulling her into her chest and whispered soothing words to her.

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games. Lat year was child's play. This year, you're dealing with experienced killers." Haymitch warned them.

Katniss wasn't paying attention and was playing with her food tiredly but Peeta was taking his words seriously. "All right. What does that mean for us?"

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies." Haymitch poured himself another drink.

"Okay. I think if..." Peeta began to say but Haymitch cut him off.

"Whoop. You're not the problem." He said whilst looking at Katniss.

"No." She denied immediately. 

Haymitch sighed and took a seat trying to get it through to them how serious the situation was. "Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years."

"That just puts us higher on their kill list." Katniss argued.

"Do it your own way, but I know these people." Haymitch warned them both. "You go it alone; their first move is going to be to hunt you down. Both of you."

Peeta could see how serious Haymitch was about this. He turned to Katniss and urged her to at least try.

"How could any of us even trust each other?" She asked.

"It's not about trust. It's about staying alive."

Katniss stared at Haymitch for a moment before nodding her head.