Two

The trail back from town was covered with a layer of fresh powdered snow. My feet sunk into the snow with each step I took. Ollie walked next to me. He kept close to my leg as and stayed vigilant as he had learned through the years of traveling with the Grey Wardens. Although it has been years since anything has posed a real risk to either of us he still sticks to his wardog ways. 

The pack on my back was slightly heavy and uncomfortable as it was filled with things I needed from town. The wind blew hard against my back causing strands of my chestnut hair to fly in my face; obscuring my vision. The midday sun reflected off of the snow through the cover of the trees and brightened up the normally darker path. 

I was forced to stop in my tracks as a growl ripped out from Ollie. Stopping I looked down at him and saw him in a defensive stance staring forward. Squinting my eyes I struggled to see through the glare off of the snow. Grabbing My bow from where It was secured onto my back I knocked and arrow from the quiver on my side. Pulling back on the bowstring slightly I prepared myself to aim and fire if necessary. 

It was then that I saw the tall figure of a man. He was standing on the porch of the cottage. His back was rested against the exterior wall close to the front door. His arms were crossed over his chest, and his shoulders relaxed. He was waiting for something. 

When his eyes spotted me standing about twenty feet away with my bow ready to fire his hands went up above his head. He took a step away from the wall and towards the steps to walk closer to me. Ollie growled at his approach and jumped in front of me. The man stopped in his tracks and his eyes flickered to Ollie before looking at me. 

“Luella” A familiar voice called my name. Giving some slack to the arrow in my hand squinted my eyes and attempted to take in the figure. His dark skin was adorned in the familiar blue and silver armor with a griffon displayed proudly on the front. His black hair was pulled back into a ponytail that hung in-between two swords that were secured to his back in the holster. 

“Duncan,” I said a slight hint of shock in my voice. I had not seen him in so long, and though I had been the one avoiding him for the past five years seeing him again felt like a breath of fresh air running through my body.

I watched him step off of the porch slowly and take a step toward me. Without fully realizing what I was doing I dropped all of my stuff and ran up to him, throwing my arms tightly around his neck. Tears threatened to pour but I held them in. I haven't realized how much I truly missed my family. 

"It's nice to see you too Luella." He chuckled in my ear. Gaining my composure I realized my grip from around his neck. 

"Sorry" I mumbled. Turning I looked back towards Ollie who was still in a defensive position a few yards back. "Calm down. It's just Duncan." I told him. At this, he slowly dropped his stance and walked to stand directly at my side. Looking back to Duncan I see his face in his normal somber expression as he studies me. 

"You look so different." He says casually.

"Yeah, five years does that to a person." His face didn't change in reaction to my snarky comment. He just continued to look at me and then at Ollie. 

That was how we stood for a good five minutes just taking each other in. Duncan may say that I look different, but he doesn't. He looks exactly the same as he did that last day we saw each other. 

It was my father's funeral. I almost didn't go considering the fact that I had locked myself in my room at the palace for almost three days beforehand. It took Duncan, Cailin, and the other Wardens taking shifts outside my door to convince me to come out long enough to go. I remember dressing in a long black dress that was loaned to me by Anora as I had nothing else to wear. I remember being surrounded by Great Wardens from all over with Duncan on one side of me and Cailan on the other. Duncan held my hand as I stood there staring at my father's body. I don't remember the details of the funeral; all I remembered is bawling as Duncan held my hand.