Heat

I could feel the eyebrows I missed my bus for sweating off of my face as the Alabama sun showed me no mercy. The crunching sounds of gravel and dirt, birds chirping and the cows mooing were calming the anxiety I had of being caught en route to school. My grandpa said if I missed the bus one more time I was in trouble, and I didn't want him to hinder the tiny bit of freedom I did have here.
         So here I was walking to school before he suspected that I was not already there. It wasn't a long walk and it was pretty much a straight shot, I think I'd make it in less then 20 minutes. I started to sweat and cars passed, probably knowing exactly who I was. This was Mosses and everybody here is related and if they aren't related, they all know each other. Before I could psych myself out about being seen by a family member a nice car slows to a stop beside me and the window begins to roll down. It was a nice looking man, older and he was clearly not looking at me like a family member.
          "You need a ride to school? I'm {a boy I won't name}'s dad" He said. I knew the boy who's father it was and while I knew my grandpa would want me to decline, the sweat beads on my back accepted the ride. I got in and he seemed pleased by this, but how bad could a 2 minute ride go ? He asked me a few things even flirted a bit, it might have been inappropriate to other girls my age but I liked older men and I was 18 after all. Nothing was too forward until the car screeched to a halt in front of my boring little school.
           As I opened the door to leave and turned to thank him he said  maybe me and him can leave and  hang out somewhere more exciting than school. My jaw dropped, as I laughed it off and got out of the car thanking him again. I couldn't believe he just offered me to skip school with him, knowing my grandfather. I went into the school laughing about the crazy ordeal. I didn't know what was worse the fact that he asked or the fact that a part of me wanted to accept the offer.
             To put the cherry on top as I walked into class his son was there joking and laughing and playfully flirting me. Having no idea that I could be his step mom.