Prologue

Prologue

-----

"Baby, stay here, okay?" My Mom told me, her voice laced with love and warmth and all good things.

I nodded my head a little. Pwede naman akong iwan ni Mommy dito sandali, I knew she'd come back for me, she always did.

"Okay Mommy." I said, my own voice considerably lighter than hers.

"Good girl. I'll just go inside and greet Tita Rain." Sabi ni Mommy na tinanguan ko na lang. I would be fine here.

Umalis na si Mommy at pumasok sa back door ng mansion. It was Tita Rain's birthday today and we'd celebrate. Mommy said today was special because Tita Rain's husband came back from Spain with her baby.

I don't get it, though. Di ba they're a family? So why was Tita Rain's husband not living with her?

I busied myself by looking at the little boys playing beside the pool. They were all wearing casual clothes like me, too! Though mas prettier ang dress ko na purple kaysa sa kanila. I couldn't really compare though, they were boys. Di sila pwede mag wear ng dress because pretty dresses were for pretty girls like me!

My Mom always said I was the prettiest little princess in the world and I believed her with all my heart. Moms never lie to their kids. Lying was bad and if you lied, your mouth would rot.

One of the little boys shrieked as another one chased him with an insect. They were a little far from me so I couldn't really see but I was sure it was an insect. Nothing was scarier than them.

"Stop! Stop!" The running one shrieked. He continued running for his life as the one chasing him didn't even slow down.

The running kid eventually fell on the ground, immediately sobbing. Ouch. That must hurt. The mean one who's chasing him jumped on his back and place the insect on the crying kid's face.

My eyes widened. That was mean! Super mean! Why was he doing that to his playmate!

"Jareth!" Someone from the chairs shouted. A pretty lady. She was very pretty and when I grew up, I wanted to be pretty like her din! "Get off my brother!"

She went closer to the two kids. Another little kid ran towards the two din. He was wobbling a little. His legs are short like mine! We must be the same age!

The pretty ate scolded the mean kid and helped the crying one to his feet. His clothes were ruined with dirt na. It was the mean kid's fault!

My eyes stung in pity. I wanted to cry for that little boy!

"Hello." A voice near me said. I flinched on where I stood. "My name is Kal! Who are you?"

This new kid looked very nice. And tall, too! Like the princes from the Barbie movies that I watched!

"Winter." I shyly said. I looked down on my feet.

"Cute!" He cooed at me. I was used to it because it's true! I really am cute!

"Kuya!" A shout made me look up from the ground. The little boy my age was running towards me and my new friend Kal.

"Hi, Storm!" Kal happily said. Sinalubong niya 'yung bata. I pouted. But how about me? How about paying attention to me? Kal held the kid's free hand before pulling him close to me. "Have you met Winter? She's your Mommy's guest!"

Storm, the big eye kid, stared at me. I suddenly felt shy.

"Hello." Storm said. He held his other hand to me. I looked at it before I shrieked loudly.

He was... he was holding the insect! Eewwww!

"Take it away!" I cried.

Storm looked at me weirdly. He even tilted his small head to the side.

"Storm, take the bug away. You're scaring her." Kal said. He pulled me on his side and consoled me. "Stay here, okay? I'll get you some water."

Kal ran inside. I was left with this kid with big eyes. Storm was his name, Kal said it. I will call him Kuya Kal because he's older than me!

Storm looked at the insect on his hand. I almost shrieked again when he suddenly closed his fist, crushing the insect inside and killing it.

I cried harder.

"Why are you still crying? The insect is dead." Storm asked with a frown.

"Because you killed it!" I sobbed.

"Yes I did!" Storm said proudly. He smiled so big and happy.

Why was he happy? He just killed someone!

"No! Why did you kill it?!" I asked, still crying. Strom smiled big again. He wiped his dirty hand on his pants.

Yuck! The insect juices stuck on his clothes! Eeww!

"I did that to protect you!" He said. "You look like a princess and my Mommy always told me that someday, I'll meet a princess that I shall protect!" Storm held my hand with his clean one. "You look like the princess my Mommy always talks about. So I'll protect you from now on! I'd crush all the bugs in the world for you!"

Storm grinned at me. I noticed that he was missing a front tooth. It made me laugh because he looked so funny!

We played a lot after Storm changed his clothes. He held my hand the whole day and I let him because he said he's a prince and I was his princess!

He said he would protect me always and I believed him! Because lying is bad and princes don't lie! Ever!

It was safe to say now that Storm Fortalejo has been holding my hand since I was three.

Just like how he would still be doing in the future.

We both held on.

Hopefully none of us would soon be letting go.

*****

Storm 'the Sweetheart' Fortalejo [SOON]