I pick up where Will left off “So she said that she bet she could do it just as well as I could and I said that she couldn’t and here we are.”

“What are the stakes?”

“If I win and she does find it hard she has to stop making comments about my job and also Hollyoaks and Take Me Out are banned from the TV. and if she wins and she finds it easy…” I put my head in my hands. “She is going to start working with me and arrange some of the dates in our busier periods also she decides when I can go on my PlayStation.” Will gasps in what I think is mock horror, although thinking about it, it could be actual horror… and I feel his pain.

“And you are going to let her do that?” Ant asks raising an eyebrow.

“What can it hurt? She’s a girl, she’ll know what women want when it comes to being wined and dined and all that, besides it all has to go through me anyway.” I shrug.

“I was talking about the PlayStation.” He laughs.

“That one will be slightly harder to handle.”

Turning my attention back to Cat I watch as she stands at the bar with her back to us talking to the barman. I really do regret the decision to allow her to do this, especially with all the stereotypes of female escorts, if this guy decides that he’s going to try for anything more from Cat then just polite conversation with his parents I am not above throwing the first punch. It’s as I think this that a tall dark haired guy walks into the restaurant followed by an elderly gentleman who could be his spitting image if not for the grey in his hair and a tall blonde lady who clings to the arm of the older man. I watch them make their way past people sat at the bar and I watch as recognition flitters across Cat’s features when she realises that this is the guy she is supposed to be dating. I down my drink and get to my feet, I need to get closer. I slide up to the bar behind her, I’ve missed the introductions but I am right in time for the ‘how did you two meet’ story. Cat is mid-way through the explanation of how they met at work when I subtly run one finger across up her spine whilst ordering a beer from the bartender her back goes rigid but she carries on her story expertly ignoring my presence. When my drink arrives I ask to see the menu so I have a reason to stand there longer but instead of reading it I eavesdrop on the conversation going on behind me.

“So how long have you and Jake been an item then?” The elderly woman asks.

“Erm, five months isn’t it?”

“Closer to seven I think sweetie, Cat is useless with dates aren’t you babe. I won’t be the one forgetting the anniversaries that’s for sure.” This guy is creepily smooth and it is actually grating on me. The waiter returns to take my order but quickly back tracks when I turn my annoyed gaze on him.

“So Cat, tell us about you. I’m afraid that Jake has pretty much kept you a secret.”

“Oh well, a secret eh? I wouldn’t know where to start really. I have a degree in Psychology from Manchester University, I graduated about a year ago now.” Stick to the truth where you can, so you can avoid forgetting what you’ve made up, she’s following the rules I gave her at least, I have to take a pause to think, a year? Has it really been that long? It may have only been a year but this is the longest relationship I have ever had and there is no chance that I am letting her go any time soon. I get my phone out and type up a quick text.

“A year really? Happy Anniversary baby ;) x” I’m not usually this sickly sweet and neither is Cat, that isn’t our style, but I know that this will wind her up a little. I turn in my spot so that I am facing away from the bar looking out at the restaurant, the guys are still sat in the booth chatting easily and keeping an eye on proceedings. Her phone bleeps in her bag but she makes no move to answer it, I click the dial button and her phone starts to ring. She apologises and starts to fish in her purse and soon as she pulls it out I cancel the call, I hear her typing as she stands next to me. My phone vibrates on the bar.