Chapter 2

So the next thing I know I’m being shipped off to Bellford like toys from China. The 5 hour flight wasn’t too bad except some kid stole the window seat, which wouldn’t have been that big a deal if he hadn’t kept the window closed the whole time!  Finally the announcement came on telling us to buckle our belts and soon the crowding and pushing began all over again. I’m surprised I even made it out!

  Finding and dragging my luggage was a horror in itself and glad to be done with it I look around for my aunt and uncle. They’re not hard to spot with all the waving and unnaturally large grins. I also see a girl about 6 ft with bleached blond hair and a guy about the same height with black messy hair who are obviously my cousins although I can’t even tell how we’re related! And then there’s Aunt Caroline and Uncle Jack, they’re also both very tall. Aunt Caroline has a naturally petite body with a peach complexion and brown hair while Uncle Jack has let himself go a little more and has dirty blond hair.

  Being only 5 5” I have to look up the whole time I’m talking with them, oh joy.

“Hi everyone!”

Aunt Caroline is the first to come up and hug me. “Abigail you’re finally here! My, it’s been far too long! We’ve missed you so much. And look how you’ve grown, you look just like your mother” Then the cheek pinching, do I LOOK like I’m  5?!? Get your hands off me.

“Oh thank you. Yes it’s been a long time and I’ve missed you all too” smile, then awkward hugs.

  First Uncle Jack, “Glad to have you back Abby”

  Rose, acting like I’ve been contaminated with the bubonic plagues says “Hi... welcome back.”

   And lastly Timothy who gives me a warm hug and then says “Hey glad to see you again!” I think I’m gonna like him best.

  On the car ride home I choose to ride with Tim while everyone else goes off in their own shiny Porsches and Mercedes.

 The silence is starting to get to me so I guess I’ll talk first.

“So what’s it like down here now?”

Tim glances at me then turns back and replies,

“Oh you know same old. They took out that playground you loved so much. Now they’ve got this cool new one with water sprinklers and everything.” Funny he should mention that. That playground was always worn out and breaking down—something from our parents’ era—but it was my safe haven and that’s where I’d go every time I needed to think, that’s where Tim would always come to find me.

“Aw and I was looking so forward to going there... it’ll probably be crowded now.”

He laughs, “That’s ok, I’ll show you around tomorrow and get you used to the place and then Rose and mom will probably want to take you shopping and then Monday’s school!” oh yeah... school... I groan.

“Don’t remind me... wait! Don’t tell you’re actually one of those people that LIKES school?!” I say like that’s the most disgraceful thing in the world, which it might as well be. Timothy just gives me a feeble smile and teasing glance.

“Damn it! I see I have a lot of work to do....“ I tease and we both start to laugh.

“Oh we’re here”

 We pull into a house about ten times bigger than when I’d last seen it and shocked I mentally slap myself for thinking all this time that they still lived in the same old 3 bedroom house as they had when I’d left.

“Wow dude... I’m impressed. It even matches up to my house.” Not too brag... Tim just grins.

“Including a tennis court and swimming pool”

“YESSSS!!” I cheer. Back home Caleb and I would spend our whole summer in the pool because being in the water was my favourite thing to do. I can smell the chlorine already!

  Everybody else arrives just in time and we head in together with uncle Jack and Tim carrying my two suitcases.

“Abigail how about we go show you your room and put these away?” Uncle Jack says lifting the suitcases.

“Sure” and I follow him. There are a lot of confusing hallways and I can guarantee you I will get lost, as if my own house wasn’t bad enough...

  Finally we stop in front of a door. Inside the room is painted purple and accompanying it is a large purple bed with a desk and purple chairs. The room is levelled and on the bottom there is a small comfy looking sofa and two matching chairs facing a large flat screen TV, which are all (you’ve guessed it!) purple.

  Aside from all the purple the room’s pretty likable and kinda resembles my old one. I smile and turn to uncle Jack.

“The room’s beautiful Uncle Jack. Thanks for all the help. Let me just get washed up and I’ll be down for dinner in half an hour.

  He nods and him and Timothy walk out of the room. I quickly grab my smallest suitcase and take out the first piece of clothing I see. I think I’ll worry about the others later... or not.  Thankfully there’s a washroom in my room, so if I forget anything I won’t have to tip toe out half naked.

  After my ten minute shower I walk out, fully regretting my choice of clothing. Just my luck... I HAD to grab the shortest tank and shorts on the planet! To make it worse it’s like ten times cooler here than in Milton and frankly, I’m freezing my ass off!!

  Of course finding a sweat shirt would have to take another 10 minutes of crouching and by the time I was done it was dinner time.  I have half a mind to just pretend I’m asleep, but Aunt Caroline probably made my favourite, wouldn’t want to disappoint her... and my growling stomach has absolutely nothing to do with it.

  Anyway I eventually find my way downstairs to find everyone in their seat waiting for me to make the grand entrance. 

  Honestly, the silence is seriously creepy and right now all I can think about is getting in, and getting out. When I’m seated everyone starts grabbing for the food and I politely wait my turn.

  Rose hardly takes anything, which I’d actually expected by her poor under nourished body. When everyone has their food I start piling my plate sky high with my favourites.  What? Everyone knows airplane food sucks...

“So Abigail, did you have any plans for tomorrow?” Asks Uncle Jack, I think back to Tim and my conversation back in the car, and I know that if I don’t say anything quick then Aunt Caroline and Rose are going to take me shopping. And I swear if after this crappy day I have to spend 5 hours in an  over crowded store with that bimbo I will murder someone!

“Actually, I think Tim was going to show me around. I’ve really missed it here so I kind of wanna go check out all the places we used to hang out.” Tim eyes me, knowingly.

  After that we have the usual table talk about our days and such, and before I know it I’m finally in my cozy bed. This might be the best part of my day.

  Closing my eyes I drift off quickly, hoping tomorrow will be better.