Prologue: Erik

Whenever people feel followed, they look over their shoulder. Luckily for me, they never look up.
     Caleb shivered and clutched the cloak tighter around his shoulders. As he walked he glared at Astoria, who was cozily bundled in layers of soft pink fabric. She kept her gaze on her feet as she walked so neither of them saw my shadow that the setting sun cast a few feet behind them.
      The air of the autumn evening turned the stone beneath my hand cold. I kept my hand trailing against the stone wall as I walked in sync with the pair below. I took practiced steps I earned through trial and error of scaling the giant castle I was supposed to call home. One of the first things I noticed when I arrived here years ago was that every structure had a few inches of stone jutting out of their walls. One of the many things I was thankful to the architect for.
     I felt my foot move forward without my consent due to a piece of debris I hadn't seen. A grey chunk of stone tumbled down and landed with an echoing smack on the pavement below. The pair snapped their heads toward the sound and I reached for the edge of the windowsill; to regain my balance and to press myself into the shadow the window created.
      When they were certain that no one was behind them, they continued their stroll. After a beat, I started moving again. When I neared the end of the building, I jumped and reached for a flag pole on the side of the manor. I swung and landed on a nearby tree, feeling how worn the metal was from years of taking this route.
       After steadying myself on a branch, I leaned against the tree's trunk. I could barely make out snippets of their conversation.
     "Only"....... "I don't think"...... "well of course"
     I moved down a branch as the pair came closer to my tree.
      "No, absolutely not" Caleb laughed, I saw him rake hand through his blonde, messy hair.
    "I think he's cute" Astoria whined. "And I'm not alone, tons of girls in town fancy him"
      Who? Fox? Adam?
      "Then the lot of you are insane" he said, shaking his head at his friend. "Then again, I might be talking from a place of jealousy because he is by far the better swordsman."
     Definitely Adam.
     "I figured as much given his confidence" Astoria agreed, "but it's not like I have a chance with Erik."
     I stopped breathing.
     I had to bite my lip in order to stop myself from snorting. This must be killing Caleb. As entertaining as this was, I realized I wasn't going to get the information I came for. I maneuvered through the branches to get to the other side of the tree.
     When I reached the edge, I dropped into the brush and waited for them to walk out of view so I could make my way back to my room. They never did. I turned to the other side of the tree and peered out. They weren't there either.
     I heard Astoria's voice ring out clearer than before, "He would be a half decent person if he wasn't an eves dropping pig."
     I turned around with my hands raised to meet the angry gaze of Caleb and Astoria.
     "Evening cousin" Caleb greeted. His voice was monotone and empty, matching his pale blue eyes.
    "Caleb" I nodded, then only sparred a glance at Astoria.
    "Can we help you, Erik?" She said crossing her arms, causing her rose gold brackets to jingle.
    "Just leaning into a bit of healthy curiosity" I explained, "as fascinating as you to exchanging accessorizing tips is, I was looking for any information you two might know about palmyra."
   "Are we really supposed to believe you suddenly have an interest in the conflicts of our neighbors." He said with a raised eyebrow and an exasperated sigh.
     "I thought you were more into politics" Astoria said sounding genuinely confused. "You know lying and manipulation sound more your speed."
    "Me?" I gasped with a fabricated bit of sarcastic surprise. I even put my hand on my chest as if I took her description as an insult.
    "Why would you think we would know anything about our enemy city?" Caleb asked, butting in between me and Astoria's state down.
     "I just figured with as much as you two pathetically follow Arthur around, he might of let slip the state of the city,"
     "He didn't" Astoria said with a bite in her voice, "and even if we did why would we tell you?"
    "I'm sorry, I forgot you only do things for people if they give you a kiss and then some- or is that your sister?"
    "It's getting late" Caleb growled, more of a warning than an observation. I didn't miss the threat in his eyes or how he moved his hand to hover over the dagger sheathed in his belt.
    Astoria scrunched her face and threw her hands to her side, "I have never been so insulted" she said through clenched teeth.
    "You don't listen much do you?"
      "Enough" Caleb said, lacing his voice with the authority he wished he had. "I'm going to bed and I suggest you two both do the same." He nodded to Astoria then turned on his heel making his way back to the palace.
    I didn't miss his limp or how Astoria's eyes followed him until he was out of sight.
     "It's bad" she finally said.
     "What? How madly in love with him you are?" I laughed.
      She turned to face me without a look of defiance or disgust. Her face was stone as she nervously surveyed our surroundings. She tucked one chestnut lock of hair behind her ear and leaned closer.
    "Palmyra" she elaborated, " I heard my parents say that their king refused king Henry's last offer for neutrality. His majesty has no choice but to send his forces into their capitol."
    "When?"
    "Tonight" her voice was barely a whisper.
    I blinked.
   I brushed back my black bangs and tried to find a way to twist her words against her. I came up empty. I swallowed and nodded to her in thanks. I went to walk past her when I felt her grab my arm.
   "If your ever talk to me like that again, Caleb's dagger will be the last thing you have to worry about."
   "Apologies, my duchess" I said stepping back into a sweeping bow. I offered her one last close lipped smile before making my way back to my room.