Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Seriously?"

I smiled. "Yes?"

Calin laughed. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Hey! I said I was coming back to figure things out. I didn't say I would wait for things to unfold before me." I shrugged as we started walking to the gym doors. "Sometimes, you have to force a reaction."

Just before we reached the gym doors, I looked to the right as a high-pitched voice rang through the crowd. I couldn't tell if Calin could hear it, but I was sensitive to the sound. I narrowed my eyes until the two shadows underneath the willow tree—yes, there was one sprouting up in the middle of the school—came into focus.

Intentionally, I dragged my feet until Calin's pace slowed.

"It's not fair!" Duvessa whined.

Mr. Corbin blew out a breath. "Well, it's done, and the Council condones it. Live with it or go somewhere else, Duvessa. Find somewhere that is easier for you to deal."

"But—"

"You can't do this here, okay? I need my job and if I can't keep you in line, the Council will assume I can't control any of the students."

Duvessa stamped her foot and looked up, catching my gaze. Her eyes narrowed and her cheeks puffed. If she were a cartoon character, I swore there would've been steam erupting from her ears. I bit my cheek to keep from laughing, which obviously infuriated her even further. She huffed again and looked at Mr. Corbin, then stomped away, and I couldn't help it. A giggle let loose.

"What's so funny?" Calin asked, leaning down sideways so he could hear me.

"Duvessa."

"Huh? Where?" He lifted his head and looked around.

I shrugged and slid my arm through his so that my hand rested on his forearm. "She's gone, I think. Don't worry about it."

"Are you?"

"What?"

"Worried about her?"

I fingered the chain I'd woven around my wrist and smirked before looking at Calin. "Not anymore."

"So, does that mean we can relax and dance?"

"Maybe." I shrugged and looked straight as the teachers started to let people inside. "If you're lucky, I will save you a dance. But it'll cost you."

"What's the price?"

"What fun would it be if I told you now?"

"You mean, you don't know."

Once again, I shrugged and then laughed. I really sucked at trying to be coy. It was at the tip of my tongue to tell him it would cost a kiss per dance, but I didn't have the nerve.

"Not really, no. But I'll figure it out."

Calin leaned over and kissed my forehead, then stood straight as though nothing had happened. "I look forward to hearing your terms."

I swear, he could read minds.

*****

"Okay, Nora. What are your terms?" Calin asked an hour later.

The music had started a half hour ago and played upbeat tunes ever since. We'd walked around and said hello to a lot of Calin's friends, and he'd taken the time to introduce me to each. Finally, we found seats at one of the round tables circling the dance floor while Calin went to get us a drink. Despite my foresight, the shoes still hurt my feet.