Chapter 26

Nicholas stared at Alex as if the earth shifted and moved beneath him.  "The father of the child you are carrying is a duke?"

"Yes."

"Explain."  She stared at him with tragic harebell blue eyes and said, "I was the Duke of Lisbon's mistress."

He cocked his head to see her from his good eye and stared her for the longest time.  "So those correspondences are all but lies."  It was a statement but she answered it anyway.  "No.  All the things I've written to you are true.  Except—"

"Except that you kept your identity a secret?  A mistress of Duke Lisbon.   You are carrying his bastard for six months!" His calmness left him.  She is nothing but a big farce. 

"Nicholas, you do not understand," She begged him.

He stood to place his balled fist on the desk and leaned toward her.  "What I don't understand?  That you whored yourself out?  That is why he had claim on you!  You are carrying his child," he rasped.  "Tell me madam, what do I not understand?"

"You are being hypocritical!"

He stared at her.  "What?  You have lain with me.  Don't," he leaned close to her, enraged almost beyond bearing.  "Don't compare what was between us to your life with Lisbon.  I never paid for your body.  I didn't sire a bastard from you."  She looked away.  He straightened trying to control himself.  "Dammit, Alex.  You have tainted your life and your baby's.  Was Lisbon's money worth blighting you and your child's future?"  He raked his hair and puffs out an air.

"D-Dont you think what I have done?"  She whispered.  "I left him."

"I don't know."  He shook his head and stared at the ceiling.  "Does it matter?"

"Yes.  He doesn't love him."  She was holding her stomach.  "He didn't love me—never did."

He stared at her a moment, his mouth twisted then thrust away from the table with a barked laugh.  "And you think it matters now?  How can I marry a woman who whored herself to another man?"

"I-I am not a whore," she whispered in a trembling voice.  "I am never a whore.  I loved him—I truly did.  He was the fruit of my love for him." She gently touched her stomach.  "And then I shared letters with you.  I fell in love with the person I shared letters with.  And much more when I finally met him.  You, sir Nicholas, made me feel like brand new.  You—"