one

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

it was a warm summer night in the beginning of august, as leighton and ricky had planned to spend their all nighter of that night getting their minds off the latest events.

for one, leighton was still grieving the loss of her father. he passed a few weeks before and she had a hard time seeing past it. the days grew long and the hours were never ending.

she spent most of that summer in her room, cuddle in bed with her mother and sister, or with ricky. even when he had plans to be with nini, he dropped them for leighton.

for another thing, ricky had been a slight mess with his "break" with nini, only slight because it was almost a relief that he could direct his attention to his best friend at this time. but he oddly did feel bad for doing what he did with nini before she went to camp. the excuse? not being about to say those three words.

leighton only knew what happened between nini and ricky, not the real reason behind the split.

the two best friends were seeking comfort. as much as ricky hated to admit, he wanted to take advantage of this stage of leighton. knowing she needed all the comfort she could get, he could help her take her mind off things. he was the one she went to with these problems. it meant something, right?

apart from their junk food filled night,cozy pajamas and various movies ready to be watched, ricky was doing everything he could to help leighton out. he just wanted to be around her and hug her as much as possible. one of the best things about her were her hugs. he loved having her in his arms. a little more than nini actually.

leighton was completely oblivious of her best friend's several attempts to catch her attention differently as the night went on. due to her still thinking about her dad, assuming he was upset about the break, and trying to focus on the movie playing on the tv screen.

but there it was. there was a brief moment, just that one moment that flipped the switch and everything stood still. it was a, as ricky likes to describe it, a "fuck-it" moment. with ricky's arm wrapped around her shoulder she didn't think much of it. he always did it.

the two were talking about the scene happening at that moment and their faces grew a little too close to one another. that's when it happened. when she looked him in the eyes, very close to his lips.

the big fuck it moment for ricky that night.

both sat in silence, staring at each other and mouths slightly open and soft breathing coming out. the tv screen being the only light source in the rather dark room. the two friends in shock at what just happened, not really knowing what to do next.

"leigh.."
"what just happened?" the two said at the same time.

"ricky you just kissed me. you're with nini" leighton said still trying to get her thoughts together.
ricky now sitting up in the bed of the dark room and fully facing leighton.
"i mean, no nini and i are on a break you know that."

leighton slowly removed the cream blanket from her legs and turned the lamp on from beside the bed. both of them still making eye contact in an odd silence.

"you still talk about her like you're with her. you even said you guys still talk." leighton said as she ran her fingers through her dark brown hair. "why'd you do it?" she asked as she noticed him start picking at his fingernails— something he did when he was nervous.

"it might have been an accident, our faces were really close and i just did it. by accident." ricky said knowing it was a full lie. he knew what he was doing. he wanted to do it and hoped leighton wouldn't bring up nini. though she did.

the girl's mind soared with even more questions with how it "might" have been an accident. but she decided to not ask them. she could really talk an ear off until she got the answer she wanted but knew ricky wouldn't lie to her. even though she still felt weird about what just happened.

there was still a sweet sensation feeling in her lips but it was quickly disregarded. clearing her throat she fully stood up from the bed and gathered her phone and charger she brought over to ricky's house.

"i think i'm gonna head home" she said slipping on her vans just as ricky stood up and sped walked to her side.
"what? no it's nearly four in the morning, your mom will be mad you left this late" ricky said in attempt to convince her to stay even though he knew she felt weird about the current events.

"my mom is working the late shift tonight, trying to get her hours back up since you know.. my dad. nayeli's home anyways." leighton whispered feeling anxious about how close he came to her. slowly maneuvering her body around his and opened the door heading for the stairs with ricky on her tail.

"leigh i'm sorry just please stay, you can leave when the sun comes up." he said with his voice wavering knowing he most likely messed up their friendship from her leaving so fast. the girl briefly stopped as she heard his voice change, but continued on towards the door.

"i'll be fine. i live next door, you can watch me. i'll see you later ric" she said turning to shoot him a small smile before leaping off his steps and dashing to her front door.

ricky sighed not being able to apologize again for his actions, hating himself for kissing her while she has been in no state to do such a thing. unaware of what he should do next, tell nini or leave it a secret, talk about it with leighton or forget it. tell big red who was on a family vacation, or not say anything to keep the three friends close. he closed the door as she disappeared inside her house.

ricky trudged back up to his room wondering if things between him and leighton will be different. his lips too felt sweet and he softly touched them before shaking his head. he texted her a sweet dreams before shutting off the tv and his lights. going to sleep with his thoughts racing.

as for leighton she went to her sister's room and slipped off her shoes and climbed in the bed. this wouldn't be the first time she's done this. her heart heavy with grief and now confusion of what happened. her phone vibrated with ricky's message but she ignored it and cuddled into her sister. someone she needed right then.

but ricky and leighton didn't know their life was about to get crazy with school starting soon and all the drama and awkwardness ready to explode from the two of them.

well. here's to hopefully— a one time thing.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

delia notes: oh my god oh my god. first chapter is up! not the first episode but we will dive into that soon. i think i'm ready for this rollercoaster to take off. but i think i'm lying.