2. The Contract (of Death... Not really)

Start from the beginning

"So, um..."

"You're room is on the second floor, to the east. It has an ensuite and is has a queen-sized bed. There's a 50" TV along with a medium sized bookshelf containing at least 50 books."

"50? That's pathetic..." I whispered to myself.

"Juvia! Where is that maid...?" He yelled out into the silent mansion, and moments later the same girl who took my coat appeared and stood infront of Redfox.

"Yes Sir Redfox?" She asked politely.

"Take Miss McGarden to the guest room we had prepared yesterday."
Yesterday?
Did he plan to get me today? So, was he following me?!
"Right away Sir. This way Miss McGarden." I scurried after Juvia and I didn't notice Redfox chuckle and walk away.

------

"Here is your room Miss McGarden." Juvia opened the door to a large room, bigger than the kitchen in my apartment. "If you need anything, please do not hesitate to call Juvia. And please remain. Clear of the third floor. Sir Redfox does not like to be disturbed."
"This feels a bit like beauty and the beast...."
"Juvia hopes you have a peaceful sleep. There are some pyjamas on your bed already." Juvia smiled then exited the room.
"A-Ah wait! Miss Juvia!"
"Please, just call Juvia Juvia!" She smiled.
"Um, thank you Juvia."
Juvia looked a little taken aback by the thanks but she quickly regained her composure and smiled sweetly again.
"Juvia appreciates your thanks! Do you need anything else?"
"Well... Is there a library?"

------

It took one look to immediately hate the "pyjamas". It was a short silk nightdress. Although I was small, it hardly covered my waist... and THAT said something!
So, I looked through the drawers and found a large t-shirt and some baggy pyjama bottoms. I tied up my hair with my scrunchie bobble from my handbag and slipped on some slipper socks. Then I put on my glasses and snuck out of my room to try and find the library.
The hallways looked menacing at 1am, all of the servants who I saw earlier had gone home or just gone to their rooms and without them I felt lonelier than when I first arrived.
Every sound I made by shuffling along scared me since I thought someone was still awake and was trailing me to see where I'd go. I passed more portraits and almost screamed when I saw one of a hideous baby. It's red eyes were the only feature of the face which wasn't angry.
"What an ugly child...." I muttered.
Carrying on with my midnight expedition, I finally reached the library and pushed open the doors.
It was like heaven.
There were books all around. I wandered over to a small lamp and switched it on, then after grabbing several thick books, I sat down in a large armchair and pulled my knees up to my chin and began to read.
The first book was about one of my favourite things in the world, the lost land of Atlantis.
I didn't know why but the thought of an ancient city disappearing intrigued me. I also loved languages but that's what the second book was about, languages which died out centuries ago.
Before I knew it, the words seemed to fly off the pages and my eyes gave up. Holding the language book close to my chest, I fell asleep and dreamt of speaking to people in languages that were never used before.

------

When I woke up, I had to pinch myself.
I was back in the bedroom. My glasses were set neatly on the bedside table and the books I had been reading were on the dressing table opposite the bed. Making the bed, I realised that I hadn't checked the time. The clock on the wall said it was 10:45, I remembered reading the language book at 2:30...
"I must've fallen asleep around 3, did someone get me then or sometime this morning?"
I shrugged and made my way to the shower. There was a large square-shaped bath and a large shower attached to the corner of the room. The towels were the big, white fluffy ones and I was one happy person.

------

"There you are!" Redfox yelled as I made my way down the stairs. "I thought you would've woken up hours ago! It's midday!"
"Sorry, I was a little confused to wake up in that bed..." I didn't want to tell him how I'd fallen asleep in the library and woken up in the room, either he already knew or a servant helped me in secret.
"Hmph. Come on, you need to sign this." He stormed away and entered a door near one which I assumed was the servant's room because there seemed to be large numbers of people zooming in and out.
Following Redfox, I came into a room which looked like a business room with a large table, Redfox sat at the very end.
"Take a seat."
Automatically, I took the seat closest to me, which just so happened to be the furthest seat away from him.
"Closer." He growled.
I moved closer to him and when I shuffled my seat inwards so that I was close to the table he crossed his arms and sat back.
"Right, I have some papers you need to sign to ensure this deal between us."
"What deal? All I know is that you picked me up from the streets and asked me to be your fake wife! Oh and let's not forget how apparently you've been planning this!" I folded my arms and frowned. "First of all I want you to answer my questions!"
"You've got guts McGarden, fine then. Go ahead." He leant towards me and grinned. "Ask away."
"A-Alright then." I uncrossed my arms and studied his face, he seemed eager. "Firstly, did you pick me before last night?"
"Of course, I checked Fiore University's best students and there you were. Top of the class, Miss McNerd."
"Okay then, two. Why me?"
"No criminal records, straight A student, lots of help towards the communities you've ever been with, and volunteering almost every summer."
"Three. Will I be able to go home and still go to work?"
"Well you could, but we've already sorted that out for ya."
"What?"
"We handed in a holiday note at Fairy Tail. That place, coffee shop during the day, bar at night. That's a place I need to visit. Oh and your rent has been paid for the next 2 years."
How could he say that so casually? I had to pay 60,000 jewels per month as my rent and I earned 1,000 jewels an hour, 60 hours a week.
60 HOURS A WEEK.
"And four, why were you out on the streets yesterday? And you said you ruled the streets!"
"You don't need to know that." He glared at me and his red eyes seemed to stare into my soul...
"Okay, okay. My final question for the day, why do you need a fake wife?"
"Hmph. My old man won't properly hand over the company unless I get a woman. A good woman though, not the ones from those strip clubs..."
"Stop! I don't need to know where you go in your spare time!" I put my hands over my ears and shook my head. But I would like to know about the gangs....
"Well, you do need to know this, if we're going to be married."
He pushed a stack of papers towards me and placed a pen on top of the pile.
"I need to sign this?"
"Yup, well, the last page, out of 100." He gestured to the pile and I felt like crying when I realised that there were indeed 100 pages of small print to read.
"Why is it this long?" I wailed.
"The first 99 are just stating what Redfox Industries is and the rooms and rules of the house. The main page is page 100."
Turning to page 100 I read the text and saw no loophole.
"So once I sign this, I'm your fake wife and I have to live here for the next six months."
"That's it, that's the deal. Oh and you'll have to meet my family to make it seem realistic."
"O-Oh..."
"You socially awkward?"
"Y-Yeah, did you research that?"
"No, you've been stuttering and just stayed silent for most of this conversation."
Frowning I took the pen and signed the paper.
"There."
"Great, oh and a couple more rules which aren't on the paper."
"Please tell me they aren't perverted."
"No, they're easy to follow. One; do not speak to Rogue no matter what. Two; don't talk to your friends about this. And three; do not, I repeat, do not fall in love."
"..!" Fall in love with him?!
"They should be easy to follow, unless you find me irresistible!"
I laughed and stood up. "As if! Who would like-,"
"Remember I can wipe your existence off the face of the planet!"
"... I'm leaving."
"Where are you going? Page 99 states that you need to tell me where you are at all times."
"You said -!"
"I lie Miss McGarden, all men do it."
I sighed. "I'm going to Fairy Tail for a cup of tea."
Redfox nodded and stood up then made his way towards the door, but he waited until I got to the door and held it open for me.
"Be careful , honey."
"Oh don't worry, I'll make sure that I don't die."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay! So I'm going to write chapter 3 now and update them at the same time~!!
That way you have much more to read! YAY!