Unwanted Attention

Mei wasn't sure about traveling to school with Ogai every day, but he insisted. Monday had been fairly relaxed, but she could hear the whispers behind her back and felt the eyes following her. Ogai was a perfect gentleman though, and he ignored all the barbs and envious eyes that followed them.

Yuki loved having her in their friend group. She asked Mei all sorts of questions and was fascinated with her life as a tamayori. Mei liked her enthusiasm, and the group had accepted her with open arms.

Sitting in the cafeteria on Tuesday, the group saw Elise and Jane walk in and sit down across the room. Mei felt a pang in her chest when she saw Elise. Why did Ogai choose herself? Was he sure he was making the best choice? What if Elise really did want to try again? He had mentioned that they had met, but he hadn't said much more than that. She didn't worry that he would cheat on her. He wasn't that kind of man. But she was worried he was making the wrong choice. Elise had been his first love. What if he was making a mistake dating her?

"Ugh, she's here, huh?" quipped Yuki following Mei's line of sight.

"It sounds like you don't much care for her."

Yuki laughed. "Elise Schneider is full of herself. We met a few times abroad, and I even met Ogai through Elise. Let's just say... I'm glad he chose you."

"But why? Elise is seems practically perfect in every way..."

"Ayazuki Mei! She may look perfect on the outside, but you of all people should realize there's more to a person than meets the eye!"

"I suppose that's true..."

Yuki sighed but took her hand. "Have more confidence in yourself, Mei chan. Ogai really cares about you, and I really like you. Don't let her lower your self worth."

Mei felt immense gratitude for her new friend. "Thank you, Yuki chan. You're a wonderful friend and I've only known you for like a week."

Kyoka came up to the table. "Hey, Yuki, can I use your help for a second?"

Yuki squeezed her hand in comfort and left to go with Kyoka.

Mei sighed to herself. This is when she really missed Ogai. He could think of something interesting to talk about and brighten her day.

"Excuse me? Akayzuki Mei, correct?"

Mei's head shot up to come face to face with Elise.

"Ah, hello! You are Elise Schneider, correct?"

Elise smiled brilliantly. "Yes, I'm surprised you know me! Would you mind coming outside to talk for a moment? It shouldn't' take long."

Mei looked around not sure what to do. "I suppose so."

"Great!" Elise exclaimed, grabbing her hand and practically dragging her out of the cafeteria.

They came near the garden Mei liked to eat with Ogai, but they didn't go inside the gate.

Mei felt incredibly awkward, but Elise looked totally chill, so she tried to relax herself. Why had she asked her here??

Elise turned to her smiling brilliantly again. "So, I hear you and Ogai are dating now?"

Mei didn't feel good about this. "Uh, yes. I uh... have heard that you two have dated before. I hope it's not too uncomfortable for you..."

Elise's smile only lessened a little. "Oh, no, of course not, Mei-chan."

Mei jumped slightly when she took her hands in hers. "Are... Are you sure?"

"You seem like a very kind person, Mei chan! Although, I did hear that you two started dating the day you met?" she asked, eyebrow up.