Losing The Most Important Thing (8)

Jake and I grew tired and our bodies forced us to stop moving and lay down. We stared up at the purplish-blue sky in silence.

"It's quite beautiful," Jake said through the quiet.

"Yes," I said, "Lucifer is a creative angel."

With that Jake and I closed our eyes and went to sleep. Neither of us dreamed, for what was there to dream of? Our hopes had been shattered and now all we wanted to do was die. We had wanted to be one of those people in those cages who had begged mercifully for their lives. We had wanted to have the soul ripped from us and put somewhere else. But then we would remember that we had already done that. We had already come here because of how we abused ourselves. This was the only place we were to be, and it was where we were to stay. Our breathing became solemn as we excepted the fact that we weren't getting out and no one was coming in to save us. So we slept. No more tears, no more screams or cries. Just breath. The breath of two excepting humans who just wanted it to end, but know that it won't.

I awoke to the unusual sound of rushing water. I lifted my head, opening my eyes into narrow slits, the light burned. I saw the clear, blue rolling waves of the ocean. I widened my eyes and gasped with delight.

"Jake! Jake!" I screeched shaking him erratically.

"What?" He said yawning. He was obviously not a morning person.

"W-Water!" I said pointing to the ocean.

He turned around in disbelief and his eyes turned to golf balls, "Water!" He said, "Water, water, water!"

"Yes! Yes!" I said and got up and ran to it.

We hesitated at first. If it was salt water it would just make us even more thirsty. I leaned in and cupped my hands. I let a bit of water come into the crevices of my skin and I took a sip, "It's clean! It's clean!" I yelled with delight as I leaned down fully, not bothering to use my hands, and gulping water into my throat. The cold sensation was exquisite. I had never before felt so much happiness in all my life. I finally came up, gasping for air, but soon went back for more. It had felt as though I hadn't had water in years instead of a few days. It felt good to finally have something refreshing on my lips.

After what seemed like an hour Jake and I both got up and wiped our mouths with the back of our hand. We had a chance to look around us because we were obviously not in the forest anymore. We were on a small beach with sand, sand castles, water, and even a little tiki hut. There was a forest behind us but it looked more like a rain forest than the woods we had been in for the past few days. The sky was clear blue with a few clouds in it and the water held little boats without anyone sailing on them.

"Let's go in the hut," I said and started walking towards it. I didn't hear the sound of Jake's feet following me and I turned around, but he was nowhere in sight, "Jake?" I called, "Jake!" No answer. I walked back towards the ocean a bit, "Jake!" I called. Still nothing. "Aw shit!" I said cursing, which is something I rarely ever do.

I walked, my bare feet leaving squishy footprints in the yellow sand, "Jake! This isn't funny! If you're hiding I'm gonna kill you!"

"He isn't here," I heard from behind me. That deep voice again.

"Dawson," I said turning around slowly, "Did you do something to him?"

"Why do you always assume it was me!" He said acting hurt, "I'm the good guy here."

"You're a demon, you're no "good-guy," I said rolling my eyes.

"Well I didn't do it," Dawson said crossing his arms.

"Help me find him, then," I said and began walking ahead.

"I already know where he is," Dawson said, "But you aren't gonna like it."

"Where," I said looking at him straight in the eyes, "Where is he?"

Dawson seemed stunned by my sudden rush of courage and then pointed to his left, towards the ocean.

I looked, seeing a dark mass thrashing violently threw the waves. I moved forward a bit, trying to make out the black shape. It was Jake. He was trying to hold himself under but the waves kept bringing his head up for air. He screamed out of frustration as I dashed towards him.

"Jake!" I called, "Jake!"

I went into the spinning water. It picked up speed, as if I were in a tsunami, as I tried to run to Jake. He was still trying to hold himself under but it wasn't working. He kept coming up for air at the last minute.

"Jake!" I yelled getting a mouth full of water and a wave crashed over my head.

I was pushed under the water. I couldn't seem to be able to find the surface. I was loosing breath and my eyes burned from opening them in the water. I looked for Jake as I tried to swim up, but layer after layer of water was upon me and it didn't seem as though there was a surface. When I finally got to the top I gasped for breath and wiped my face looking around for Jake. I saw him, face down in the water, floating as waves crashed on him and pushed him deeper under the surface. I dived under again and reached out for him but my foot was then grabbed by something. I looked behind me as I saw Dawson gripping my ankles. He motioned for me to come up and I shook my head no, turning my attention back to Jake. I reached harder and then another wave hit, pushing him even further. I kicked Dawson away as he started to pull me up, and swam down for Jake. I couldn't let him die. He was all I had. I needed him. I was about to grab his arm as I saw something come out from under him and pull him down, fast.

"No!" I screamed in the water and it went up as bubbles.

I tried to follow but then was grabbed at the waist by Dawson and pulled up. I gasped for air as we hit the surface. I wriggled in Dawson's arms, trying to free myself. But he resisted and pulled me out of the ocean and onto land.

"No!" I screamed as he dropped me down, "No! We can't leave him! We can't!"

"She already got to him, Clare," Dawson said, "He belongs to Cassie now. It's over."

"No we have to help him! Please!" I screamed as tears started to run down my face.

Dawson shook his head and I crumpled to the ground. I leaned down, covering my face and cried. I screamed. I had been wrong before, I still could cry and scream. I still could feel pain. Jake and I needed each other. We were all we had, I needed him back.

"Please, please!" I begged, "Please!"

"Clare! He's gone! That's what she was after all along, don't you know! This was the plan all along!" Dawson yelled.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I screamed back.

"This is what Lucifer does! He puts you in a pair and then takes the other away so that you're all alone!" He said.

I looked at him and my face dropped. I breathed out a bit and then covered my mouth, "Oh God." I said and then whimpered, "Oh God."

Dawson put his hands on his hips and then wiped his hair. Finally he asked, "Now will you trust me?"

"Only if you help me get Jake back."

"But that's never been done before!"

"This time it will!" I screamed and started walking into the rain forest. It was my best bet.