Chapter 11: One of Two Worlds

Kara stopped. Terrifying? Of course, but no more terrifying than before with him chasing her or with Luther coming after her. In fact, it was a bit relieving that she wasn't controlled in such an intimate way. Connor trying to destroy the ball even seemed . . . better? The boy wasn't created yet, no spark, and no life. Connor couldn't even kill her, he was just trying to stop it all. As a machine? He was just too conflicted between his orders of Cyberlife versus his creator. "We don't judge androids when they are machines. The golden rule, Markus."

"That's true," Markus agreed, "but taking this in account with recent events, and holding you in a human facility?"

"He's never coming near you again, we'll make damn sure of it," North said. "Luther and Alice are right outside." She smiled. "They've missed you so much. Don't run off like that again."

"You are way too important to do that," Markus agreed. "Every android here would give their life to protect you."

But I don't want them to. She was brought over by a large vehicle where Luther was waiting. He gave her a big hug while Alice hugged her waist. "It's great to see you."

The vicious Deviant Hunter that still killed and probed an innocent android that was now his 'sister', would be the first father? Who wouldn't want to get rid of that? How am I going to keep my family?

Connor's words came back through to her mind again though. His fear. She tried to ignore it by hugging Alice extra tight. "I missed you so much, Alice. I wanted to bring you with me, but it was too dangerous."

"No more danger. I'm here to protect you," Luther said, "along with every android in Detroit."

Detroit . Connor named him Detroit . Detroit Blue.

I'm not going to get shelter or justice from Markus. I am locking an android up in a human facility. Add the past to that, and I look like a very ugly enemy. After she is safe and no longer needs protection? The probability that we are separated is so high. I'll lose complete access.

"Let's go home, Kara," Luther insisted. "You'll be safer there."

"I'm just glad you are okay," Alice said, still not breaking the hug. "I missed you so much! I never stopped missing you, Kara. It's not the same without you."

Kara held onto Alice tightly. "I know. I missed you too."

"Into the vehicle already," North said. "Let's go home. I don't like it out here, once the humans know you are back, things are going to get crazy."

"Connor." Kara looked toward Markus. "Connor is the father. Have any rights been decided upon?"

"There are no other pregnant androids, so it was easier to go with North," Markus said. "In the case of Connor? He doesn't . . . seem like he was made for the role. It'll be okay, data is data. No worries."

"But he does want to be a father. He wants family," Kara said. "You aren't doing Connor a favor by saying that. I'm carrying his family."

"He's not . . . good with other androids, Kara. In the future, Androids will already have a sense of family established. I'll make it a condition so this kind of thing doesn't happen."

"He is Detroit's father." Data is data? "You know data is not just data. You have no right to say that because Connor won't make the exact right appearance to others."

"Gee, yes please," North said sarcastically. "The father of the first android baby practically tried to kill its mother in the process. He'll be the sweetest. Exact right appearance nothing, it'll be a nightmare, Kara!" North insisted. "Get in before the people come."