Chapter 10: Download

Start from the beginning

"That would be risky," Markus agreed. "Connor, have you ever even interacted with a child?"

"Alice, I met Alice," Connor said. That he did, he met Alice. He never actually got close to Alice, but he met her.

"Did you interact with her?" Markus asked. "Her just standing around doesn't count."

Oh. 'You did the majority of checking up on Kara." Shoot. "It doesn't matter, a baby is going to be new to everyone."

"Have you ever helped take care of anyone?" Markus asked.

"Hank," Connor said. "On hard nights when I have to get him. Sometimes I have to help him get more ready. Humans have a hard time functioning when they are far from sober." That was like a child. "It's not all the time." At least it seemed to sway Markus a little bit.

"Can I talk to Kara?" Markus insisted. "For a little while?"

"Of course," Connor answered. "You can talk through the glass quite easy. Follow me." Connor went over toward the guards with Markus. "Hello. We are here to see my future son and Kara." Yes, he did that on purpose. The more Markus thought he talked about it with everyone, the less he could try to reason with him that it was 'just data'. "Hello Kara. Markus is here to see you and Detroit."

Kara looked over from her tablet. "Hello, Markus."

"The Chief is fixing your schooling situation too," Connor said. "With his help, it looks like going to college without needing to hide behind an identity might be possible."

"Great," Kara answered. "It would be nice to have something to focus on when I'm back here."

"Kara? How are you?" Markus asked hesitantly.

"I'm okay," Kara answered. "No worries."

"Connor!" Hank yelled over the guards. Connor moved toward the guards. "Chief wants to meet us in interrogation room 1."

Interrogation Room One

"All wrapped up in a great big bow," Fowler said in a bitter mood as he displayed a small tablet. "Kamski flew the coop. Left all his furniture and belongings, but had this."

"It's not in a bow anymore," Connor noticed. Why put a bow on a disposable tablet?

"No, of course not. I had the security team watch it," Fowler said. "I need you to chain yourself to the table, Connor."

Connor looked at the interrogation table. That wasn't good. Whatever was on that tablet couldn't be good. He sat down and chained himself to the table.

Fowler gave the tablet to Connor. "It's got the union of you and Kara."

"You should have just handed it over to Connor," Hank complained. "That was his business. Why are you keeping him chained to the table? Huh? They were machines."

"There was nothing sexual in it. I watched it afterward too." Fowler gestured to it. "You want to download or you want to watch how bad this shit just got for you?"

Connor downloaded the information off of it. And? He knew. "I've got no nope of keeping him, do I?" He noticed Fowler's look. Yeah. He already passed the news onto Markus.

"We had to keep the peace. It was risky enough, but this just shifted it all again. There's just too much, Connor," Fowler said. "I need you to stay locked in this room while Markus gets her out," Fowler stated. "Sorry, Connor."

"What? Bullshit, Fowler!" Hank yelled at him. "What the hell? You can't give her to Markus!"

"We have to," Fowler said back to him. "There was no order of sex between androids."