Chapter Two

Depuis le début

"And which one of those do you think I am, Skyshadow?" Smokescreen whispered in her audio.

Skyshadow froze at his closeness. "That varies."

Gently taking her shoulder, Smokescreen turned her around. He studied her delicate, defined facial features.

"What do you want, Smokescreen?" Skyshadow prompted, optic ridges furrowing.

"When I dethrone Optimus, you could rule by my side," he whispered, staring intently into her optics. "I have a plan, one that will for sure work this time. You could be a part of it."

Skyshadow stared at him for a klik. Then, she scoffed, crossing her servos.

"As much as I'd love for the Prime to be eliminated, I know your little scheme would never work," she said lowly.

"What do you mean?"

"Have they ever worked before? Oh, and Lord Optimus is catching on that you're the one behind most of the assassination attempts."

Smokescreen snorted. "Yes, but the accomplices I've had in the past are all idiots." He paused, smiling down at Skyshadow as he lifted a hand to caress her faceplate. "You however, would be perfect. You're clever, swift, ruthless. He'd never see it coming."

Swatting his hand away and ducking around him, Skyshadow took several steps away, turning to look over her shoulder. "Of course, he wouldn't. Even if I did agree."

"What?" sputtered Smokescreen, turning to follow her.

"Like you said, I'm not stupid. I'm not about to take part in a coup that I know won't work."

Smokescreen gritted his denta, taking several long strides to catch up. Blocking the other warrior's way, he halted.

"You haven't even heard it yet!"

Lifting her chin, Skyshadow replied coolly, "I don't have to.

"And even if it did, what makes you think that I wish to rule by your side?"

"We'd make a perfect match," Smokescreen said with a smirk. "Just think of it, you and me, the king and queen. Nothing and no one could stop us."

"Sounds delightful, but no."

"Why not," demanded the now irked seeker.

Skyshadow rolled her optics, twitching a wing in agitation. "You and I would never work. Besides, I'm not looking for someone."

"Why are you still with Sunstreaker?" Smokescreen sputtered. "He's vain and self centred. Plus, he's been weird since Sideswipe died."

"Better than being with you," replied Skyshadow sharply. "And I don't know if you don't get it or something, but his twin died. He is grieving. And for the record, Sideswipe was my friend, so watch it."

She then stepped around him, helm held high. "I'd watch your mouth also, and your step, Smokescreen. There's a lot of bigger 'Bots than you who'd love to give the Prime a reason to kick you out of your rank."

The head seeker turned, scowling. "You wouldn't tell anyone. You want him gone just as much as I do."

Skyshadow paused by the door, casting a glance back at him. A sharp smile crossed her faceplate.

"For different reasons, but you are correct.

"However, I may not be a snitch," she said, pausing an astroklik. "But I am an assassin. Who doesn't take kindly to threats."

With that, she left the room, leaving Smokescreen to sputter and fume by himself.

"She's wrong. I'll change her mind," he growled, balling his hands into fists. "She thinks I'm unable to take what is rightfully mine. But Optimus will fall one orn."