Missing Her - Part 1

I look outside my window and I saw the red, brown and golden autumn leaves dance with the wind and slowly float down to the grown. I watch as some were picked up again and carried onwards to their new destination. They were the only things that seemed to be alive in its dull surrounding. Everything else seemed so empty, so lonely, and so dead. Nothing else seemed to be alive. The wind continued to howl and moan in sadness, sounding so depressed it hurts. That was the exact feeling I felt inside, the same emptiness, the same loneliness. But I'm not dead yet, unlike others who are unlucky enough to be in my position.

I stepped outside and felt the wind ruffling up my overgrown hair. Slowly I made my way down the path allowing my feet to lead the way, not paying any attention to where I was headed. When I stopped I noticed I was standing outside my old high school and a sudden realization hit me. Making my way around the school I ended up out the back where the oval was located. I looked around hopefully for what I was looking for.

There at the edge of the oval stood an old willow tree, the leaves falling from its branches. Slowly I made my way towards it hearing the light crunching of the leaves as I stepped on them. I looked up at the tree when I reached it, admiring it’s still strong trunk after all these years. I looked up and down its trunk searching for a certain engraving. I ran my finger over the trunk feeling around till it found what I was looking for. The words were fading slowly but you could still make it out.

JESSIE

   +

CHASE

   BFF

Sighing I leaned against the trunk and let my head rest on the old willow tree as I thought back to the time we first met.

***

I looked around the room filled with other pre-schoolers running around laughing, screaming and talking. I was sitting down solitary playing with the giant floor puzzle. The pieces were scattered everywhere and I had only managed to put three pieces together.

A shadow cast down on the pieces as I was playing around with a piece in my hand. A girl with small round glasses and curly black hair that was tied up into two pony tail sat down in front of me.

“Can I help you finish it off?” She asked me. She was cute, and the first girl who had attempted to talk to me. I just nodded and continued to play around with the pieces. I was a really shy kid, I didn’t really run around causing havoc with other kids. Eventually with her help we finished the puzzle together and she grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the bookshelf.

“My name’s Jessie” She said randomly as she picked out a book and sat down cross legged with it. I just stood there watching her as she began to open it up. She flipped a few pages over before she looked up at me again.

“What’s yours?” She asked expectantly.

“Chase.” I mumbled. She was a weird one. Trust me to get the attention of a weird kid.

“Wanna read this book together?”  She asked with a bright smile on her face. I just had to smile back and from that day on it was just me and her. During nap time we slept next to each other talking in whispers while the others slept. We got caught a couple of times but we just laughed it off. We grew close, really close and we became the best of friends, nothing more, and nothing less.