"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

Depuis le début

                I can hear a roar from behind me and know that the man caught up to me.

                "Signor de Luca. Good, you have caught the little seductricce."

                My eyes dart from the floor to Giovanni's, but he is looking beyond me, at the council man.

                "Return her to me, my good man. Things were just getting heated." I could feel his slimy gaze on my back. "The little witch enjoys it rough. I am only obliging."

                I hold still. Not a breath escapes me. Giovanni's hold on my arm tightens and I fear I may bruise. Does he believe him? Of course he does. Why else would his jaw tick like so? I can feel tears pricking my eyes. I knew it. I knew that he would not believe me. For he already made a judgment of my character.

               After some silence, Giovanni states curtly, "The queen requests her presence."

                The man laughs. "Very well. Afterward then -"

                "No. There is no afterward."

                I am surprised at the finality of Giovanni's tone. He does not look at me, his gray gaze still on the man behind me.

                "Perdono?" the man asks. "What do you mean no?"

                "I mean that she is under the protection of the queen."

                "Protection?" The man's tone is bewildered. "You speak as if I wish her harm!"

                "A maiden would not run away from a lover."

                My ears burn. I do not think I could ever look at Giovanni de Luca again, from the shame, the embarrassment and ... gratitude

                "We are only playing a game ..." the councilman continues.

                "You seem to be the only one enjoying it."

                The councilman's good humor evaporates. "What do you know of what women want!"

                Giovanni keeps silent, his eyes unwavering from the councilman. "This is my last warning to you Signor Marchisio."

                "She seduced me!" Signor Marchisio continues to spew. "She asked me to follow her to the balcony! I am a nobleman, what need do I have of a peasant! She used her witchcraft -"

                Giovanni pulls me along with him, away from the blubbering fool of a council man.

                "You believe that puttana over me!" come the cries from down the hall. "Perhaps you want her for yourself! You sly bastard!"

                I keep my gaze on the floor as we walk away. Giovanni does not speak until we reach my door.

                He lets go of my arm abruptly, as if I am diseased. I do not blame him; he has every right to be revolted, for I am as well.

"I will leave you to compose yourself."

        Yet, he remains standing in front of me. I do not dare lookup, even though I can feel his hand beside my face, his fingers close to the tendrils of curls that cover the bruise the signore caused.

        Just as quickly he snatches his hand away. How disgusted he must be. How revolting he must find me. I watch him curl his hand into a fist as he turns away and briskly walks down the hall.  I do not have the strength to look at his stern form. Instead, I run into my room and lock the door behind me.