Chapter 19 - A Split Second

Start from the beginning

The other 5 people gave him a confused look. "How will we do that, Sir?" Lavanya voiced everyone's query.

Aman gestured at Khushi. "You can make him."

"When I can't even make him vote for us, how will I ever make him abstain?" Khushi replied.

"Isn't he some relative of your cousin, Payal? Her brother-in-law or something?" Aman prodded.

"Arnav is Payal Jiji's fiance's cousin."

"That's it." Aman remarked.

Khushi scrunched her eyebrow.

"Use it."

"Use it?" Khushi repeated Aman's words. 

Aman nodded enthusiastically. "Threaten Arnav with his cousin's relationship to make him abstain from the vote."

"His cousin and my Jiji's relationship?"

Aman didn't notice Khushi's grave tone. He continued, "Yeah. That's our trump card. If we play it correctly, we might even get him to vote in our favor. But we can surely make him abstain. At the least."

She didn't need to mull over it since the answer was as clear as day.

Khushi spoke slowly to let each word sink in. "My sister's relationship is not a trump card to be used as a strategy."

"I didn't mean it that way, but it's the best option-." Aman began when Khushi cut him in. "I am not going to jeopardize her life in anyway."

Payal was not just a cousin. She was her friend, sister, confidante, everything. The only family she knew since she was 8. Payal was innocent and she wouldn't let her be collateral damage in this war for Magnolia.

"Not even to save Magnolia?" Aman questioned dumbfounded. "Currently it's the best and only solution we have."

"We are not doing this." Khushi's tone was firm. "There is no way in hell I'll do that to Payal Jiji. Or even risk it."

"Then what are we even doing here?" Aman retorted.

"Guys," Pam interrupted, "This news has been a shock to us all. Let's take a minute to calm down."

"Calm down?" Aman snickered at Pam, "You do realize we'll all be jobless in a few weeks when that crazy Sheetal wins at the vote and sells this company."

"She won't win," Shlok interjected. "That's why we are here. We'll find a solution, without dragging some innocent bystander in our mess." He referred to Payal. "We won't resort to personal attacks," he said but his tone was dicey. "Unless we all agree." Shlok looked at Khushi.

Aman huffed and sat on the couch. Astha and Shlok sat across Khushi and Pam pulled up a chair next to Aman. Lavanya served water to all.

Khushi scanned the room at the silent people. What Aman suggested seemed like the easy solution but Khushi would never forgive herself if, even by a small chance, she messed up Payal's future.

She still remembered how easily Payal had let her in the family. As a child, Payal was never envious of the new girl who would now share her room, her toys and her parent's love. Her uncle and aunt had never discriminated between the girls. Khushi owed so much to them. The woman that she was today, the company that she had built was all because 3 acquaintances took her in when she was completely alone. She had worked hard her entire life, but without their, especially Payal's support, she wouldn't even have a life.

Nonetheless she understood where Aman was coming from. She admired these people and knew they valued Magnolia as much as her. But her sister was not a pawn. Even for an empty threat.