Chapter 12: Hide or Seek?

Start from the beginning

"...it is in fact a mental condition, however it is not necessarily a mental disorder; one can argue it is the opposite of a disorder, but too much order can be abnormal. For example, there are people who can see sounds as if they were waves of color. This can help them make or appreciate better music. Another example can be, feeling a touch or impact and being able to identify what it tastes like, or even--"

"Or hearing someone's voice and knowing their breath smells!"

A male student with his hand raised laughs after interrupting the professor with that last comment. The rest of the class laughs a little also, including the professor himself.

"Ah, yes, Mr. Dane. That is a fine example of ideasthesia... But while we're at it, would anyone else like to chime in? Perhaps someone would like to identify what type of condition Mr. Dane just displayed with that outburst..."

The students' responses scatter into minor chit chat. A few of the students raise their hand. The professor points at one of them.

"Mr. Mendon..."

"Stupidity?"

The rest of the class laughs, including Cliff Dane, who throws a rolled up piece of paper at Pete Mendon's head. The professor chuckles but continues to look around the class for more raised hands. He sees that Samantha has her hand raised as well and he points at her.

"Miss Lawrence..."

Samantha stands up to answer.

"Well, what our friend Clifford Dane is displaying isn't really a 'condition' per say. He's simply a guy. Guys find it funny to be rude at times. I personally view being a guy as a 'mental condition' one can be born with, but that's not generally accepted as fact, so I must hypothesise. Perhaps he spoke out and interrupted you due to his boredom, or we can assume it was just to get us to laugh as we did and that your attention would be focused on him... Just like it is now. Maybe, just maybe, he suffers from the rare condition known as HPD, or Histrionic Personality Disorder. Feeling like the professor's attention was broad and general to the entire class made him uncomfortable, so he shined the spotlight on himself, just to feel validated. But again that's just my personal hypothesis, merely based on the present incident."

Samantha sits down and the entire class laughs discretely. A couple of students are heard snickering and some others point to Cliff in a ridiculing manner. The professor with a smile on his face looks at Cliff, who is shaking his head with a closed-mouth smile.

"Would you agree or disagree, Mr. Dane?"

"Agree? I barely understood any of that..."

"In a nutshell, Mr. Dane, Miss Lawrence's theory alleges that you may be an 'attention whore.' Do you find that valid?"

The class laughs now and Cliff scoffs. The professor, now satisfied with the level of discomfort Cliff is feeling, decides to stop mocking him.

"For the record, Mr. Dane, I don't agree with her. You certainly don't seem to be enjoying all this attention, so the Lawrence Theory has been proven wrong and may be put to rest. Now, let's move on..."

Cliff looks at Samantha out of the corner of his eye. Samantha chuckles and shakes her head as she begins to write in her notebook.

Several moments later, as the class is dismissed, Cliff follows Samantha into the hallway.

"Hey Samantha, wait up..."

Samantha keeps walking but responds to him.

"I can't, Cliff, I have another class all the way in Prudence Hall in like two minutes. Walk and talk, Cliff, walk and talk."