Careless Carrie

Jaden ran and hid behind the nearest wall. Luckily for him, the Lady in Red wasn’t exactly smart as she dashed right past him. The boy’s eyes were wide with fear as he gulped, going back to where the painting originally was. He could’ve sworn that he heard something drop when the glass shattered.

He was right. On the ground was a shiny, red key. Jaden slowly knelt down and picked it up, examining it. He didn’t get to examine it for long, though, as he could hear the hiss of the painting as it got closer to him.

Taking a deep breath, he dashed to the door that was unlocked and shoved the key in it, turning it and walking in.

Jaden was met with a library. He saw a small array of books in small bookshelves, no taller than half his size. He heard a click behind him and a couple of bangs.

“That’s probably the painting...the click...maybe the door locked itself again...” He thought aloud, walking around and taking a look. There was a door at the other end, but when Jaden checked it, it was locked. Just as I thought.

Now, reading really wasn’t Jaden’s thing. He’d rather go five laps around the whole entire Duel Academy that read a book that had more than one hundred pages. Fortunately for him, these books only had few pages in them.

His brown eyes noticed a book that was slightly out of place. When he took it out, the pictures started to move...

Carrie Careless and the Galette des Rois.

Four girls stood around a table. A blue girl, a brown girl, a dark red girl and a pink girl.

“Happy birthday!” All the girls shouted, apart from the blue one.

“Thanks guys!” The blue one chirped.

“For your special day...” The pink girl beamed, “We made a Galette des Rois!”

“What’s that?”

“There’s a coin in this pie,” The pink girl explained, “And if you eat the slice with the coin in it...Then you’ll be a happy person!”

“That sounds like fun!” The blue girl giggled with excitement.

“Doesn’t it?” The pink grinned.

She then went to get a knife, coming back with it and cutting up the cake into four equal pieces. “Okay, let’s divide it up!”

Once the cake was divided, the pink girl smiled. “Okay, now pick the piece you want!”

“Let’s eat!” Everyone said.                                                                    

As the cake was being munched on, the blue girl swallowed something hard. “Aah!” She cried.

“What is it?” The pink asked, concerned.

“I think I just...” She took a minute to adjust, “Swallowed something hard!”

“Ahaha! Oh Carrie!” The pink laughed.

“It must have been the coin!” The brown laughed along.

“What do I do...?” Carrie, the blue girl, was very concerned.

“It’s fine, the coin’s small!” The pink reassured, “Well, I’ll clean this up now!” She gathered up the plated and the knife, heading toward the kitchen.

On her way, she saw that her mother was troubled by something. Frowning, the pink asked her mother, “What’s wrong, mum?”

“Have you seen the key to the study?” Her mother replied.