moon [rylex]

"get ready ladies and gentlemen, say goodbye to your loved ones."

ryan was huddled in the corner of the room. the sleeves of his hoodie were drenched in tears.

this isn't the way he wanted to go, there were so many things he wanted to do, so many things he loved.

he couldn't leave the one boy he loved, he wanted them to stay together forever.

the shorter boy came over, picking up ryan in his arms and cuddling him on the sofa.

this wasn't how ryan wanted to die but he couldn't complain, he was safe in alex's arms.

the tv spoke again, crackling as the face of the earth heated up, one degree at a time.

"this is a five minute warning, phone your family and friends. for the last time ever, this is goodbye from me. i wish you all the best of luck."

ryan was in love. in love with alex, and alex was in love with ryan.

they didn't want to leave each other, despite knowing they had no choice.

alex had an idea. he led the crying boy to the roof of their shared bungalow.

they sat in silence on the top of the roof, watching the moon as it shone brightly without a care in the world.

the boys heard the tv announcing they had four minutes left.

four minutes.

how could ryan tell alex how much he loved him in only four minutes? it seemed impossible.

"i love you."

alex hummed, nodding his head.

"i love you too."

the moon was, and always had been, ryan's favourite thing in the world (apart from alex of course)

the shorter boy started singing to the taller one, still not letting go of his grasp.

"when the world is no more, the moon is all we see. i'll ask you to fly away with me."

ryan looked up to alex.

"can we fly away together?"

alex nodded in response.

"of course we can, where do you want to fly to first?"

by this point ryan had stopped crying, although his anxiety hadn't settled.

"the moon."

alex gave a sad smile, giving the younger boy a delicate, yet loving kiss on the lips.

they both turned back to look at the moon.

by this point the tv has started counting down in seconds, signalling the boys only had moments before everything was over.

"i know you're sad, you're saying it without words."

ryan looked up at alex.

"if you're with me then everything is alright."

the two boys had lost contact with the rest of the world now, the tv too tired to carry on counting.

they shared one long, passionate kiss, giving each other all their love; everything they had.

despite what was happening, ryan stared at the moon, taking in all its detail and beauty.

it was very close.

"i love you to the moon"

"and back?"

"and back."

and with that, the one thing ryan had admired since he was little, destroyed everything he loved.

especially alex, that boy had his heart.

even though humanity was destroyed and the two young boys were gone, their one for each other remained, and it was stronger than ever.