Chapter 1

When Ayana opened her bedroom door, she let out a sigh of relief. She behaved yesterday, and he didn't lock her door overnight like he had before. Ayana could tell he was still asleep as she was met with nothing but darkness in the main room. Some light shone through the cracks in the ceiling, which somehow miraculously never let rain through. It was just bright enough for Ayana to see faint shapes in the room and began to move around. Time to start the day.

She made her way to the fireplace and through in some fresh firewood that sat next to the fireplace. She lit the fire and quickly stepped back as the fire grew, the hungry flames gnawing at the dry wood. Ayana could already feel the room heat up just slightly, but she didn't let her eyes move from the fire, watching its flames carefully. She wanted to make sure the flames didn't leave their little makeshift cage and spread onto anything else. When she was satisfied with the fire, she turned around, looking at the room.

On the table a few candles sat, along with an empty basket and a few dishes from last night. She sighed and picked them up, balancing them so she could only make a single trip. She threw them in the sink that was as dry as the old wood her bed was made of. By the sink a little string of frayed yarn sat sadly on the counter. She grabbed it and tied her greasy, long hair back into a ponytail, tucking the few stray strands left behind her ears. The rhythm of her morning routine began to take control as her body moved around the room as if on auto-pilot. Most mornings were the same, and she started it like most.

The large tub of water in the back of the room was filled close to the brim with clean water, like it was all mornings. Part of Ayana wondered if it had some kind of spell on it, because it always was full in the mornings, despite the fact Ayana had never seen the warlock replenish it. She took the bucket next to it and filled it half way–she couldn't carry it if it was filled completely–and carried it weakly to the sink.

She wasn't very strong.

After cleaning the dishes from last night she began to search through the kitchen for food she could prepare for breakfast. She found some fruit and began slicing it, before putting them in a small pan. She mashed up some berries in a bowl and poured them in the pan too, making sure to get all the juice in as well. Some stewed fruit should be nice to wake up to, she thought to herself, right?

She put the pan over the fire and moved onto cleaning off the table so she could wipe it down. If she can clean the kitchen quick enough this morning she can have a small break to herself before he wakes up.

The thought was enough to keep her pushing through the morning routine. Every morning she wondered how much dust and dirt could possibly accumulate over night, and why she had to clean it every morning if it's barely dirty, but the warlock always preferred a clean house. Maybe he had a phobia or dirt. Or maybe he just liked giving her work.

No matter what, it was in her best interest to try and get on his good side today.

Tonight, she would finally enact the last part of her plan. The plan she took nearly 2 years to think of. The plan she spent the last few months perfecting. The plan that would only work if she was as careful as possible.

As the smell of sweet fruit wafted through the air, she snapped herself out of her thoughts and back to the present.

Ayana had been in charge of cleaning since she was 6. She's been in charge of cooking and, on the rare occasion, baking since she was 7. She's been in charge of waking herself up and putting herself to bed since she was 8. And she's been in charge of taking care of her own injuries since she was 9.

Ayana was now 13, and has been living in the old cabin for 8 years. The first couple of years in her new home took a lot of adjusting too, but eventually she got over the sudden transition from her old home to the cabin, and got used to her new life.