| THIRTEEN |

"Ivy, we brought you some food." Dwayne's low voice rang out from the entryway to the room. I didn't move from my position on the bed. "C'mon, princess, you need to eat. You haven't for the past three days."

"I'm not hungry," I replied, my voice gruff from not speaking. Even as I said that, my stomach growled harshly. "I'm fine, Dwayne."

"No you're not," he said, "and that's okay, but you still need to eat something. We're worried, Ivy." I felt the bed dip beside me, and he took one of my hands in his. "I'll leave you alone, but first, I need you to eat this."

I let out a shuddering breath and turned slowly until I could see him, my unused joints unhappy with the decision. "I'm not hungry," I repeated.

Dwayne sighed and rubbed his thumb along the back of my hand. "Yes, you are." He paused and placed a box of takeout on my stomach; it was incredibly warm. "Do it for us, darling. Marko went out and got your favorite, and I have some news that I'll tell you if you eat."

I thought about it for a few moments before sitting up slowly, taking the box of takeout and the fork he held out to me. He let go of my other hand and smiled when I opened the box.

"Can you sit beside me - up here?" I patted the space beside me as I asked this. He complied and settled into the spot easily. We were quiet for a bit as I stared at my food. "I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for," he replied.

I shook my head. "Yes, I do. I've been inconsiderate to you guys. I've been laying here, wallowing in self-pity, and I haven't been spending any time with y'all." Dwayne wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. "That's rude, so I'm sorry," I finished.

"You're allowed to grieve, Ivy. You haven't done anything wrong; it just hurts a bit seeing you in so much pain considering there's not much we can do."

He tapped the side of my food, and I took it as the sign to start eating. As soon as the food touched my mouth, I realized how truly hungry I was. I ate quickly, only pausing when he handed me a bottle of water I didn't realize he had.

He began talking again when I was almost finished with everything. "We've been researching," he started. "It would have been a lot easier if Max was still around, but I can't say I miss him much." Max was someone they hadn't talked about a lot. He was their past leader, though David had always been their unofficial leader. He was the one who's blood they drank to become vampires, though. "But, we think we figured out what they are - the forest people."

I choked on my food, covering my mouth as I coughed violently. Dwayne patted my back, trying to calm me down. I drank water, slowly, trying to calm down. "You- you found something? Dwayne, I don't even know if I want to hear about them right now. I- I-"

"I know," he said, "I figured I'd still ask if you wanted to know."

I shook my head slowly. "I don't think I want to talk about that right now. Maybe later."

Dwayne nodded, and we sat in silence for a while while I finished eating. I leaned close to him as I did, and he didn't seem to mind the quiet. He never really did.

When I was finished, he spoke again. "Do you think you can go out to the main cave tonight? We've all missed you alot, and I'm sure they'd love to see you."

I thought about it before responding. "Only if you carry me." I stretched my arms and legs and let out a loud yawn. "These joints don't want to move more than they have to."

Dwayne laughed and climbed out of the bed before picking me up in his arms, bridal style. I laid my head near his and pressed a kiss behind his ear as he walked. He shuddered a bit at the action, and it made me laugh a bit.