XXXVII. Gratitude

Start from the beginning

He nods firmly, looking over to Khari, who walks over towards him and places a gentle hand on his shoulder. Khari gives him a reassuring look. "My parents have been looking forward to meeting you. They'll take good care of you."

I smile at my best friend. "Tell them thank you for me. I'll be there as soon as Everett leaves."

I hear a huff come from next to me, and I look down to see Analiese shaking her head. She gives me an ironic look. "This CIA agent you seem to be close with that's coming to take me away...he doesn't know about your boyfriend does he? Makes sense. If he knew he would have to do his job and lock away one of the world's most wanted assassins..."

The whole room grows very quiet, especially me. I didn't even think about that. She knows Bucky is here, she knows this is where we've been hiding him. If she told Everett, or anyone for that matter, it could be the end of him.

Swallowing my fear, I try to stay composed as I kneel down onto the ground, making sure she can see my face fully as I say this to her; "You're not going to say anything to the CIA or anyone about him. You will keep his location secret."

She tilts her head. "And why would I do that?"

"Because you owe me," I tell her, looking at my family and friends around me. "There is not one person here who wanted to keep you alive. The CIA wouldn't have objected to me delivering a corpse to them. You're alive because of me. You're also cured of your powers because of me, and you have a room all to yourself in prison instead of an electrified containment unit. That's all because of me. You're going to keep this secret because you will owe me for the rest of your life."

Analiese stares at me for a long moment, her expression unreadable. Her chests rises and falls as she sighs, nodding her head slowly. "I won't say anything."

"Swear it."

"I swear on Julian's grave I won't talk about your boyfriend." She says with slight exasperation. But I know she's sincere, not just from her tone and expression, but because she swore on Julian.

"And remember," I say dropping my voice. "The things I've given you can be taken away."

I don't usually like to give threats, but this is necessary. This is Bucky's freedom, his life we're talking about. Understanding flows over Analiese's face and she nods again, bowing her head.

I open up my phone and go into contacts, going to Everett's number. T'Challa comes over to me, pressing on the speaker button just as Everett picks up.

"Soroya, it's good to hear from you. Have you got Remington?"

"Yes, we got her," I say into the phone. "She's been here for the last few days."

"The serum Shuri created worked," T'Challa chimes in. "She is powerless now."

"I'll be in Wakanda in a couple hours."

"How many agents will you bring with you?" T'Challa asks.

"Just enough for get the job done. I'll see you both soon." He says, before hanging up. Both of us will have to accept the unknown number of government agents about to appear at our doorstep.

I look over to Khari and Bucky. "You two should go now."

Bucky walks over to me, cupping my cheek gently. He brings his lips down to my forehead, before kissing me briefly on the lips. I know he isn't comfortable leaving me alone with CIA agents, but I know he trusts me, and he trusts the role that I've played the past few years. He knows deep down that I'm not in any danger.

I can only hope one day the CIA won't be a threat to him, that he won't constantly be in danger. I can only hope that day will be soon.

-