III

Micah clenched her hands around the bouquet and took a deep breath.
She was standing at the first step of the stairs outside the chapel leading to the door, on the other side of which her prince, whom she had never seen before, and her new life awaited her.
Her father smiled at her reassuringly, "Lets begin before I start crying."
Micah chuckled and they started walking up the steps, this was the walk down the aisle they were allowed.
Because inside the chapel only Micah alone was allowed to enter.
These orders of the king scared her even more, there was something wrong, something she was not told, but what it was, was completely beyond her.
All of Micah's friends were there on both sides of the stairs and she waved at them and smiled.
Her students were there too and she giggled and gave them a wave too.
The door opened for her but she didn't peek inside, instead she hugged her father, her mother and Lailah tightly and gave them the biggest smiles she could muster.
Finally, she looked at the alter and she saw him.
She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, he was breathtaking.
She walked inside in a trance.
She didn't blink, she was afraid he'd disappear, he was like one of the heroes from the novels she read.
More real, yet more angelic.
A ray of sunshine fell on him and his jett black hair shone and fell in his eyes.
His eyes were so stunning yet so full of..sorrow.
His lips slightly pouted and frowned and Micah felt like giving him a hug to cheer him up.
As the priest began to speak, Micah kept her eyes on her Prince, silently willing him to look up at her, but he never did.
Neither did he say his vows, neither did he lift her veil, neither did he kiss her.
He didn't even say 'I do'. He simply nodded and that was it.

That night Micah patiently waited for Prince Fane to come and explain what happened at the alter,
Saying 'I do' was important was it not?
But the night slipped away and the maids came to change the candles and Fane never came.
As she watched dawn approach, her lips quivered and tears of despondency cascaded down her cheeks as she walked back to her bed, and pushed off the rose petals.
She took out the flowers in her hair that Lailah had so happily put in, and cried to sleep.

Morning came and the sunshine woke up the new Princess.
Micah remembered her miserable night and sighed, not wanting to get up, she looked to the side and saw a rose as red as blood on the pillow.
She sat up abruptly and took it in her hand. She placed a hand over her heart and smiled at it like a child.
She didn't know how, but she just knew that it was from Fane, and that could only mean that he did come last night, and he did care for her after all.
She excitedly jumped off her bed and let the maids get her ready for breakfast.
She didn't even notice the stunning crown they put over her head, she was too immersed in how she looked overall, hopefully presentable for her betrothed.
She giggled along with the maids as they marvelled over her beauty and sang about how Prince Fane would probably throw his sword at her feet when he sees her.
She entered the dining hall perkily but just as she did, Fane got up from the table and walked past her, out of the room.
Dejected that he didn't even look at her, she stood still in her place unable to decide her next move.
"Micah! Come, sit." Queen Prietta said.
"Don't mind him," said the King, "He had morning practice to conduct."
"He conducts it himself everyday?" asked Micah.
Rose nodded, "Everyday.. although he went a bit ear-"
"Why don't you eat darling, I heard you didn't eat dinner last night either." Prietta interrupted.
"I was waiting for Prince Fane."
"Oh honey, a soldier's wife should never wait on him for dinner. She may starve." Prietta said.
Micah pouted and lowered her gaze, she wished she hadn't said that.
Seeing Micah down, Rose decided to cheer up the mood,
"Micah, did you see the rose I chose for you?"
Micah's demeanor deflated , "You picked it?"
"Yes! Did you like it?"
Micah forced a smile and nodded.
So, he didn't come see her after all.
In her upset state she ate everything that was on her plate and stuffed her face with the bunsso that she wouldn't start crying in front of the King and Queen.