Chapter 28

Today was my birthday. Gus wasn't there when I got up.

He wasn't there at breakfast. I ate only with Shelby.

"Have you seen Gus?" I asked her.

"No, not today." She frowned.

"I hope he's okay." I said.

"Me too, because if something happened to him on my watch, I'll be crushed."

"What if he forgot our dinner reservation tonight? It's my birthday, after all." I felt like crying.

"So we mustn't cry! We will have fun today, and when I release you to your reservation, if he doesn't show up, guess who gets locked out of the bedroom tonight?" Shelby exclaimed.

"You're right. It's my special day no matter who is here and who isn't." I smiled.

~~

Shelby and I visited many different museums and parks, walking until our calves hurt. We didn't see Gus once, and it felt like we walked around all of Paris.

"I really hope he isn't hurt." I felt strange and scared on the inside. What if something had happened to Gus?

"I'm sure he is fine." But Shelby didn't sound too sure.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"About 2:30, why?"

"I should call my parents. And our dinner reservation is in 4 hours." I said. I walked to a pay phone, put in a few coins, and dialed my home phone.

"Hazel! Honey! Happy birthday!" My mom wailed when she picked up the phone. "We miss you so much!"

"I miss you too, guys. I'm sorry I'm not there with you." I sighed.

"Are you alright, honey?" My dad asked. I decided I didn't want to upset my parents until I knew for certain Gus was missing.

"I'm okay, just missing you guys." I smiled.

"Don't worry honey, you'll be home in five days." Mom cooed. She sounded excited.

"I know. I can't decide if I want to go home yet." I laughed.

After talking with my parents for a while, another person was waiting patiently for a turn.

"Je suis désolé," I muttered an apology as I scattered away.

"Do you feel better?" Shelby asked.

"A little, but I'll feel even better once I know that Gus is okay." I said.

~~

It was time for dinner, and still no sign of Gus. I was debating skipping the reservation and just going back to the hotel, but I decided that it was still worth a try to see if Gus was going to show up. Shelby and I had made it to the door, and when I walked in, the restaurant was empty except for one single person.

"Why hello, Hazel Grace."