Chapter 27

Gus and I had been in Paris for three days now. My birthday was in two. We were visiting the Eiffel Tower, and Gus suggested we split up to go buy each other something.

"What about Shelby?" I waved her over.

"We would stay in the same block, so we would never be too far apart." Gus said.

"Is everything okay?" Shelby asked when she came over.

Gus told Shelby his idea, and she nodded. "As long as you promise to always stay near me." Shelby seemed hesitant.

"You and I can go together, Shelby, and Gus will stay nearby." I looked over at Gus pointedly, and he threw his hands up.

"I will."

"Sounds great! We're off." I said, slinging my air container onto my shoulder and linking arms with Shelby and Gus.

~~

"How about this?" I spun around in a pale pink sundress Shelby and I had found in a thrift store.

"It looks étourdissant! Stunning!" She clapped.

"Merci. Maybe I can wear this to dinner with Gus in two days for my birthday?" I suggested.

"Yes! Brilliant!"

"I love it."

"Perfect. Let's buy it and head off to find Gus," Shelby started, "and it's on me, because I did not know it was your birthday in two days. So consider it my present to you." Shelby smiled.

"Oh no Shelby, I couldn't." I protested.

"I insist." She pushed.

"Alright, if you're really sure..." I said hesitantly. Shelby laughed.

"Of course I'm sure."

After purchasing the dress, Shelby and I left to find Gus. He was in a bakery with 3 croissants and 3 lattes, still warm.

"Merci, Gus." I kissed his cheek.

"I promise I didn't blow all our spending money." He winked.

"Mmhmm. Actually, it would just be your half, because I don't trust you with all of it." I laughed along with Shelby at my joke.

"Haha. Very funny." Gus wrinkled his nose at me.

"Mm, this croissant is délicieux." Shelby cooed.

"What does that mean?" Gus cocked his head to the side.

"It means delicious." I stated.

"Good. Consider it one of your many birthday presents." Gus smirked.

"Hey, at least you remembered." I replied.

"Yeah. Remembered. That's what I did." Gus trailed off.

"What?"

"Nothing, Hazel Grace." Gus smiled.