4. Trouble at Laxdo

Beginne am Anfang

Zen and Aki silently walked up to the window, leaning on the sill. The two pharmacists didn't notice.

"The snow fields must be beautiful... but who shall I send out?"

"Shall we go?" Zen interrupted, making Garack jump and turn to them. "It's close to where we're heading."

"No, no," Garack held her hand up. "I cannot ask your Highnesses to run an errand for me, even if Princess Aki is with you. Where were you going anyways, your Highnesses?"

"The fortress!" Aki grinned.

The door opened and Shirayuki and Ryuu walked in. Aki raised a hand to wave and Ryuu returned it.

Shirayuki beamed. "Zen! Aki!"

Garack tilted her head and smiled. "Welcome back, you two. Shirayuki-kun, you came at a good time. I've decided on where to get our supply of medicinal plants; please go for me."

-

Aki snuggled into her cloak, watching her breath come out in white puffs. She was grateful that she decided to forgo her dress, deciding to go with her casual outfit due to the weather up north. She clutched the reigns of the horse she was guiding as they rode their horses to Laxdo.

Shirayuki was riding with Mitsuhide, Kiki and Zen were riding their own horses as well, and Obi was nowhere to be seen but Aki knew he was either following them, or he went on ahead to check the situation. If Zen had any problem with Shirayuki riding with Mitsuhide, he didn't show it.

"Sorry, Shirayuki," Zen apologized, looking back at her. "This business is somewhat urgent, so I can only go with you half of the way."

"I'm sorry as well," Shirayuki smiled. "You're traveling with me and you even let me ride your horse."

"This isn't that much of a problem," Zen shrugged. "At least it's faster than riding a carriage."

Aki raised her head to feel the cold air and looked to the field that stretched out to their side. "Wow... the whole place appears to be pure white, it's quite stunning."

"How annoying..." Kiki muttered. Aki giggled.

"It's bright, huh?" Mitsuhide commented. "Actually, Kiki, you should put on something warm."

"I like the cold," she argued, turning her head to the side.

Aki noticed Shirayuki looking at the siblings, she caught her gaze and tilted her head in question.

"Ah," Shirayuki waved a hand in dismissal. "I just thought that you guys said that you wouldn't have to leave the castle for a while... did something happen?"

Aki looked at her older brother who gave Shirayuki a reassuring smile. "This is just a casual inspection trip; I thought I'd do one before the snow gets too thick. Aki wasn't supposed to come though, since I'm the one in charge of Laxdo; she came to shadow me."

"It's for my future duties, Zen-niisama," Aki huffed, reaching forward to stroke her horse. "Even if Masa was here, he would let me go."

"I doubt it," he snorted.

Shirayuki gave them a side glance. "Do I need to worry about you two?"

"Will you?" Zen grinned.

"I stopped worrying just now though," Shirayuki shrugged, turning her attention back to the land ahead of them. Zen pouted playfully and Aki giggled into her cloak.

They trotted for another hour with small talk. They stopped near the town Shirayuki was ordered to buy her materials at and bid each other a good bye for now.