I Know How You Feel

Disclaimer: I have not finished Legacy as of writing this (almost there! Sort of), so if there are weird things, that's why.

Keefe's PoV

I find him in a curled mess. He's huddled in a dark corner of my living room, quietly sobbing. I run quietly over to him. We're supposed to be playing something Foster called Sardines.

Tam was the hider, and I seemed to have found him first. Hiding in plain sight is good after all I suppose.

As I get closer I can tell he's hyperventilating, so I tentatively hug his shoulders. Probably not knowing who I am, he leans into me, sobbing harder. He grips my jerkin, whispering things about shadows and death. I hold him whispering words that I know won't help, but I don't know what else to say. He looks up. His face is red with tears, his eyes puffy and silver bangs plastered to his forehead. I push aside his bangs and wipe his tears away, lingering on his cheeks. They're soft.

"K-keefe?" he whispers, but doesn't flinch.

"Yeah, I got you," I whisper back, smiling sadly. He manages to smile back, but it's forced and fake. I let go of his cheeks, trying not to think about that part, and pull him closer into a tight hug. He starts sobbing again, but apologizes through sobs. I tell him not to, which he apologizes for. I pull out of the hug and grab his face again. He blushes slightly, and I try not to smirk.

"It's not your fault." I look into his eyes, and try not to flinch at my next sentence. "I know how you feel."

He shakes his head. "You don't. I did." A breath. "So many bad things. So many. I almost turned!" He sinks into my chest, breathing unsteady.

"But that's not your fault! You had to! You wanted--needed--to protect Linh! It makes sense!"

"Not just Linh."

"Oh?" He nods slowly into my chest.

"For you," he whispers. And I can barely hear him, but I do, so I smile and pull him up again.

"Why? I'm nothing. Just a messed up kid with an evil mom and terrible dad." I realize I'm being insensitive. He's going through so much, and definitely doesn't need my problems.

"Exactly. We're so similar. I get you. And I feel like if you actually got to know me, you'd get me too."

I smile again, this time for real. "I'd like that." My smile is contagious, and when he beams at me I realize just how adorable he is. I rip my hands away from him for no other reason than vulnerability (and a stupid reason at that), and his smile falters, but only for a second. But when it comes back, it's dimmer, so I grab his hand and pull him up.

He falls into me and our noses touch. He pulls away, but I pull him back, our noses touching again. His face is still red from crying, but it's gotten even more red. I'm probably blushing too, but don't care.

I pull him closer, kissing him. Miraculously, he kisses back and I know there's no way of making either of us sad again today.

Word count: 517