Inspector Goole

"Massiveness, solidity and purposefulness" - gives the impression that he is an imposing figure. His tendency to interrupt and control the conversation adds to this impression too. The triplet makes clear that he will dominate proceedings from now on, despite the hostility he faces from Mr and Mrs Birling.

"Millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths" - there are plenty of people in society who are struggling. These names are common which could indicate that there are people who still have 'hopes' and are 'suffering'.

"It's my duty to ask questions" - Inspector has high moral standards, revealing that the other characters have not. He takes responsibilities seriously. He is here to expose the faults of the Birling family and will not be easily intimidated.

"We are members of one body" - pronoun 'we' - direct contrast with Mr. Birling message of 'every man himself'. Metaphor - we should all stick together as one 'body' because if one part of our body is not working well, we feel unwell and same goes for people in society. Without helping them, the society will fall apart so we should help them so their lives are better.

"Taught in fire and blood and anguish" - if we do not change our ways then we will learn it through violence and bloodshed which could be a reference to the war as people didn't learn the importance of understanding others and taking responsibility, which caused the deaths of millions of people.

"A nasty mess somebody's made it" - uses Mr. Birling's words and applies it to Eva Smith's life. The Inspector's scornful reply reveals the trivial nature of Mr. Birling's concerns compared with Eva Smith's death, and also the Inspector's self-assurance and growing control over characters.

"Burnt her inside out." - The Inspector's introduction of the girl's suicide establishes the main premise of the play and sends a sudden shock through the comfortable world of the Birling's. The Inspector gives a blunt account of Eva Smith's death. Priestly uses harsh language to contrast to the happy mood earlier on in the act as the word 'burnt' highlights that her death was very brutal and affecting. Furthermore, this makes the reader feel very disgraceful towards the Birlings as she died in a horrible pain where something pushed her over the edge.