Chapter 24- The Rise of Skywalker

Aboard one of the First Order Dreadnoughts, Resistance shuttles full of Resistance fighters landed in one of the hangars. General Ematt led two squadrons and headed towards the bridge; he told his second in command, Sergeant Sharp, to head in the opposite direction. The corridors were surprisingly quiet as they headed towards the bridge, filling both corridors and elevators with nervous, awkward silence. Approaching the entrance door to the main bridge, only a few stormtroopers were visible guarding the central control room. On seeing the Resistance on board, a foolish stormtrooper let a few blasts fly in the direction of the resistance squads. A fighter with Ematt immediately took them down; the other stormtroopers quickly surrendered to Ematt's satisfactory and knowing smile.

Ematt walked casually through the control room towards the dark-garbed First Order officer, who stood with a grimace on their face. This particular officer was a large man, enormous in height, broad and incredibly muscled; his uniform seemed to strain against his every movement. Every feature of the man's face matched his body- large dark eyebrows, a large nose, a tight mouth and a square jaw. Ematt felt sure this man could probably knock him to the floor with one well-aimed punch, but he didn't look as though he'd ever engaged in any form of hand-to-hand combat despite his size. Like everyone on this bridge, his uniform was immaculate, with no sign of stubble on his razor-sharp, clean-shaven jaw, and the skin on his hands was pale and smooth. This man spent his time issuing orders. General Ematt smiled his weather-worn face at the officer and cocked his shaggy white head at him before offering a tanned rough hand, his blaster held firmly in the other.

"General Ematt of the Resistance."

"General Kail," the man responded, taking Ematt's hand cautiously and shaking it.

"Can we take that as your surrender, General Kail? I'd like to avoid any more unnecessary deaths if we can," Ematt smiled again.

"My crew will be unharmed?" Kail queried.

"Absolutely."

The General paused, but only for a moment.
"Then the bridge is yours, General Ematt," Kail motioned his hand to allow Ematt to take control.

"Please stay at your posts," Ematt informed the officers. "If someone could open communication with Admiral Deltan, General Hux, Captain Peavey and General Targo, I 'd be very much obliged."

-X-

Finn, Chewie and Jannah crept through the hangar of Admiral Skalick's Dreadnought. Behind them, another Resistance shuttle with Altor and a squadron of Resistance fighters entered. Chewie had his trusty bowcaster slung over his furry shoulder, Jannah's bow was cocked and ready, Finn carrying his blaster, was prepared to fire, and his riot control baton hung over his shoulder.

"So your plan is what now?" Jannah asked.

"Get to the bridge and get the commanding officer to surrender," Finn replied.

"Why?" Jannah asked, exasperated.

Finn turned to her, a mildly hurt expression in his eyes, and she looked at him guiltily.

"The commanding officer is one man. I was a member of these guys, remember? If I can save the crew, the countless stormtroopers, I'd like to think it's worth doing instead of just blowing them out of the sky."

Jannah nodded, and everyone followed Finn's lead as they continued towards the command hub of the ship- the bridge. Unlike General Ematt's advance, Captain Finn and his squad had a far more cumbersome journey.

Altor was currently sitting behind a splintered corner of the corridor as blasts ricocheted off the walls.

"We need more cover or more firepower," he shouted across to Jannah and Finn as Jannah aimed an explosive arrow from her bow to fly towards the smoke from which the stormtroopers stood behind, flagrantly blasting anything that moved from behind the screen of fog.