“It’s nothing, really,” Paul sighed, looking down at his hands. “It’s just...”

  “Just what?” John looked Paul in the eyes, and Paul couldn’t help but feel bad. He was giving him puppy-dog eyes, which was Paul’s signature move. Now John was using it against him...

  “I don’t think we should tour anymore.”

  John was silent for a moment, looking down at his own hands rather calmly before looking back up at Paul. “I agree.”

  Paul’s eyes lit up. “You do?”

  “Mhmm,” John nodded. “I feel like it would be best for us.”

  “Mmm,” Paul bit his lip. “Especially with George and Ringo...”

  “What the hell is up with them?” John suddenly questioned, raising his voice. “It’s been several months, and the two of them haven’t made up yet. It’s ridiculous. Have you seen any of them shagging any birds, either?” Paul laughed at John’s randomness.

  “Ya know, Ringo has Mo, and George just married Pattie two months ago. So they’re obviously shagging them. But other than that... no, I really haven’t.”

  “They obviously still want each other, and with George mopin’ around like that...”

  “Ugh, we have to record today!” Paul cried out, hitting his forehead with his hand. “I don’t wanna deal with him!”

  “Neither do I, but I guess that’s part of him being in our band, eh?”

  “True, true. It’s just he’s so fucking annoying now! He and Ringo really need a good shag, eh? Guess their wives aren’t givin’ it to ‘em good enough.”

  John laughed. “How come you aren’t married yet?” he asked, Paul turning his head away at the touchy subject.

  Because I want to marry you, Paul thought, sending that thought to the back of his mind immediately. 

  “Dunno, just guess I haven’t found the right bird yet,” he lied.

  “But you have Jane!” John laughed, nudging Paul in the shoulder playfully.

  “And right now, she’s my best option.” Paul sighed. “I just want someone that really woos me, y’know?”

  John’s heart skipped a beat at what Paul had just said, secretly thinking it was about himself. Of course Paul doesn’t want a bloody bird, he’s got me, he thought to himself smugly. 

  “True,” John said, breaking the awkward silence he had created. “Just don’t knock her up,” he chuckled lightly, referring to his situation with Cyn. If he hadn’t gotten Cyn pregnant, he would probably be in a much closer relationship with Paul right now.

  Paul laughed half-heartedly, wishing John hadn’t brought Cyn up. He felt terrible doing this to John’s beloved wife, as he was very close with Cynthia himself. He felt like he was personally hurting and backstabbing Cyn whenever he and John made love, and he felt even worse for poor little Julian.

  “What time is it?” John asked, too lazy to read the clock hanging on the wall, forcing Paul to do so for him.

  “It’s about noon,” Paul laughed, reading the clock and realizing this was actually an early time to wake up for them.

  “What time are we supposed to be at the studio?”

  “About four, I guess. I think George wanted to record some more of his rubbish about things that our fans don’t even pay attention to anymore.”