Works from the past

Start from the beginning

2. No other females can attract or distract the male protagonist.

3. The male protagonist pursues the female. Never the other way round.

4. The plots heavily revolved in the male protagonist 'protecting' his mate from both males and females alike.

5. The male protagonist harms everyone no matter what age or gender. Not a finger is laid on the female protagonist, except the frequent harsh 'affections.'

You are starting to think that he just likes the control over your life and not you.

"Here! I got one for you, its the mildest one he wrote. Fun fact, it's the first novel he published, that is why his English wasn't as complex as now." You took the dusty book from her hands. "Please Answer Me, My 'Love'... I don't know what to think about the title. Why does 'Love' have quotation marks?" The cover art was not at all sexual, It was a photo of a white rotary phone with a flower bouquet that is slightly wilted.

The special lighting and placement or objects gave you a vibe of hopelessness and desolation. You flipped to the back, surprised to see a silhouette of a person in a fetal position with a kitchen knife lying next to them. "This is not... not very nice." You grimaced. Then you moved onto the summary. "Years and years of being in the shadows of others reduced my worth to mere trash. Today is the day I decided to end it once and for all, Everyone shall suffer like how I did. Especially her, the witch, the one who degraded me the most." You raised both eyebrows in surprise, this was completely different from the books he wrote recently.

"Could you give me your summary on this, boss?" You looked at her. She tapped her cheek with her fingers as she hummed. "Well, If I remember correctly... the male protagonist is named Evanet, as in Mr. Vasilios's middle name. This book is telling the story about how Evanet likes this girl... Maria, I think. But Maria constantly abuses him physically and mentally."

"So like a bully?" You asked.

Your boss shrugged her shoulders. "More like an abusive girlfriend. One moment she says 'I love you', another moment, she pushes him down a flight of stairs and spat on him. Maria, in the book, gaslights Evanet more times than I can count." You raised an eyebrow.

"Gaslight? What do you mean by that?"

"Well, it means manipulating someone into doubting their own sanity. Like you say that your shirt is blue, I say it's Yellow and I call you a crazy bitch. Geddit?" You nodded.

"When was this published?"

"Umm, I think it is when he was a teenager? He started writing at a very young age. In the end, he kills Maria and got away with it. The police in his story wasn't even capable enough to locate Maria's body."

"So in a way, that book was his teenage angst?" Boss shrugged.

"Maybe, but that book is still—"

Your shoulder tensed when you hear the familiar tune of your ringtone. You yelped in surprise before anxiously fishing your phone out. With a shaky hand, you answered the call and placed it next to your ear. "Hello!?"

"Whoa there tiger, chill, it's just me, (f/n)." A wave of relief washed over you. That wave soon turns to irritation.

"(F/n), you got me into this shit! I want you to get me out!" You yelled into the phone. "What are you talking about, (y/n)? I have never heard you so pissed before-"

"Its because I am pissed! That bastard barged into my workplace and harassed me!" You heard a snort from your matchmaker. "That means he likes you. Don't be such a fuddy-duddy, it's just some playful love—"

"No it's not! He is damn dangerous! I am going to get a restraining order against him."
You heard your matchmaker gasp in panic. "You can't do that! Vasilios paid good money to make this relationship work! If you do that you are going to be the death of my reputation!"

"Well, you are the death of my security! If he knows where I work, he would probably know where I live!"

"If you file a restraining order against him, I am going to snitch on your marijuana business and you are gonna go to jail. Do you really want that!?" You were at a loss for words. Maybe it wasn't such a grand idea after all.

"Besides, what can a damn piece of paper do? I can tell Vasilios really wants you, bold of you to assume that a restraining order can stop him. He got all the money in the world to play dirty!" Yeah, she's right. Your city is home to the most corrupt officials anyways. You sighed.

"Fine, you won. What do you want?"

"Oh nothing, just checking up on my goood friend. Heh heh."

"Okay, you have checked up on me. Goodbye." You immediately pressed the hang-up button. Right after that, a different number rang. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion.

You picked it up in case if it was that madman. To your dismay, it was. You look at your boss, the older woman just gave a sympathetic smile and a pat on your back.

"H-hello—"

"Who were you conversing with a while ago?" His voice was low and menacing. You gulped.

"W-what are you talking about?" the silence was always the scariest to you. "It seems that you were handling another call before me. Your line was unavailable when I tried to contact you a moment ago." You gritted your teeth, you were frustrated because that was none of his business. However, In order not to cause similar problems like earlier that afternoon, you decided to just tell him.

"(F/n), our genius matchmaker." Your jaw tightened in frustration. A soft "Ah." left Vasilios's lips.

"Are you now at home?" You didn't know whether to lie or tell the truth.

"I, uh-"

"Please disregard my previous query. You are clearly at your workplace. I am going to collect you, remain in the vicinity until I arrive."

"Hey, how did you—" The line went dead. "Hypocrite."